Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi I am a system administrator of a computing cluster in which we have some 50 computers. Currently we are running FC2 on them but we are planning to upgrade ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast apoorv_khurasia's Avatar

Creating custom installion image

Hi

I am a system administrator of a computing cluster in which we have some 50 computers. Currently we are running FC2 on them but we are planning to upgrade them to FC5. The problem is that each time we will install FC5 onto these computers we will need to run some programs and edit some conf files (example security settings, authconfig, nfsmount etc.) Also we need to modify some of the drivers provided by FC5 manually so that the hardware can be supported. I wish to know if it is possible to make a custom network install image so that all of this task can be done in an automated way to save time and frustration?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    "There is no sixth rule"
    --Rob Pike
    Registered Linux User: 400426 home page

Hi Apoorv !!

try PartImage. you can create an image of installed OS...... it worked for me....

this is from PartImage's Homepage

This utility can be used to install many identical computers. For example, if you buy 50 PCs, with the same hardware, and you want to install the same linux systems on all 50 PCs, you will save a lot of time. Indeed, you just have to install on the first PC and create an image from it. For the 49 others, you can use the image file and Partition Image's restore function.

.... casper ....
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First