Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello All, I currently running the following HW config MSI K9A Platinum MOBO AMD A64 X2 4600+ CPU 2GB Corsair 2400 RAM 2 - WD3200KS 320 GB SATA2 HDs I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Fedora Core 5/6 SATA Issue

Hello All,

I currently running the following HW config

MSI K9A Platinum MOBO
    AMD A64 X2 4600+ CPU
    2GB Corsair 2400 RAM
    2 - WD3200KS 320 GB SATA2 HDs

I have tried to do some digging before posting. I am currently running into the HD not found error associated with my SATA controller. This MOBO runs an ATI SB600 (which seems to be supported), and if I attempt to pull the WinXP drivers from the included MOBO driver disk it appears to run a Silicon Image 3112r driver (which also seems to be supported).

I am afraid I am missing something that may be painfully obvious, but attempts to install with all four BIOS options (Default IDE, RAID, AHCI, Legacy IDE) have all failed. I would like to run the AHCI (presumed native support) mode for a JBOD for now, but any advice or options would be greatly supported.

Additionally, if I CTRL+ALT+F2 during the install the system messages appear to timeout when calling up the disks across each of the 4 MOBO controllers. Not sure if this indicates the SATA is playing nice and my disks aren't or if that was just my hope.

Just Joined!

Update: wrt XP Driver

I played with this a bit further, and while trying to enable the RAID within Windows it would appear that you must use the IDE driver. This would imply that the Controller may not be leveraging the Sillicon Image (si3112) driver. Is there a correlary to this driver within the 2.6 kernel?

http://us2.msi.com.tw/support/dvr_ex...AID_Driver.zip
    ATI_IDE_RAID_Driver:
    --> RAID: ahci8086 amd64 i386 readme.txt txtsetup.oem
    ----> amd64: ahci8086.cat ahci8086.inf ahci8086.sys
    ----> i386: ahci8086.cat ahci8086.inf ahci8086.sys

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by jshessen
    Hello All,

I currently running the following HW config

MSI K9A Platinum MOBO
    AMD A64 X2 4600+ CPU
    2GB Corsair 2400 RAM
    2 - WD3200KS 320 GB SATA2 HDs

I am afraid I am missing something that may be painfully obvious, but attempts to install with all four BIOS options (Default IDE, RAID, AHCI, Legacy IDE) have all failed. I would like to run the AHCI (presumed native support) mode for a JBOD for now, but any advice or options would be greatly supported.
    With my K9A mobo, a WD 36GB Raptor SATA disk and a Seagate 250GB SATA disk, I was able to install FC 6 on the Seagate disk. I needed to upgrade the BIOS to 1.2 (available since 28 Sep 2006), or the installation would not even detect the SATA drives (failed with something about an IRQ option was disabled).

The BIOS option I used was the default "Native IDE" one.

However, all is not well -- the installed system hangs after enabling /etc/fstab -- I suspect it is my ATI All-in-Wonder 2006 Edition video card, since it misbehaves even under Windows XP... though the installation had no problems with it.

Just Joined!

Smile Success!!

I had assumed that these forums weren't followed very well. As a follow-up, I found out that the SATA was provided by Promise, and had actually applied the 1.2 BIOS to resolve a slightly different issue (3GB BIOS limit). The BIOS update made reference to some changes to the SB600

I was able to successfully install FC6 final today, even while using the AHCI SATA mode. Additionally I found the following link helpful in setting up the NIC. It references gentoo, but it is perfectly applicable to FC6

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_RTL8168