Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, Up till recently I was dual-booting Windows XP and Ubuntu Dapper. I had them both installed on a seperate partition, on the same hard disk. But then my XP ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Restoring MBR for Windows

Hi,

Up till recently I was dual-booting Windows XP and Ubuntu Dapper. I had them both installed on a seperate partition, on the same hard disk. But then my XP partition started to get fuller and fuller, so I decided to delete the Ubuntu partition, since I didn't use it all that much (school programs = Windows).

That wasn't the smartest move, or so it appears now, because the part handling the first stage of GRUB was installed to the MBR, but it obviously couldn't find the needed files for the following stages, since the partition where they should be has been formatted...

My question now is, how do I erase the MBR, or better, how do I restore the MBR to something that will boot Windows XP. I don't have access to Windows' Recovery Console, boot floppies are not an option either. The solution should be completely doable from within Linux (Knoppix live-cd).

I hope there exists such a solution, because I realise my 'demands' are probably quite high. If you need extra information, just ask, I'll be here all day. ;)

Thanks in advance, anyway.

http://www.ambience.sk/fdisk-master-...ilo-fixmbr.php

has a link which I'm not vouching for, but other than that, can boot from your windows disk, and run mbrfix.exe from there. That's the recommended approach. I don't have a simple solution to do from a live Linux cd.

DT

Just Joined!
    Well, the problem is that I no longer have a regular WinXP disc, but only a homemade image/ghost. And apparently restoring the image does not include the mbr.

In other words, I don't have access to anything Windows-related, as long as the mbr isn't fixed. :(

Quote Originally Posted by DThor
    I don't have a simple solution to do from a live Linux cd.DT
    It doesn't necessarily have to be a simple solution.... ;)

Hi !!

download Bootable Windows 98 Floppy from www.bootdisk.com
    boot up through floppy and execute this commad........

A:\> fdisk /mbr

.... casper ....
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Casper, thanks a lot.

I know I said in my original post that "boot floppies are not an option" (which you - luckily - didn't see), but your reply made me check out why exactly my floppy drive didn't function... (Turned out to be a loose cable -_-)

Anyway, I'm making the boot floppy, and I'll test it once it's finished.

I'll be sure to report back. Thanks a lot.

Just Joined!
    It worked, that did the trick! Thanks again, Casper.

Hi !

i read your both posts clearly. i thought you dont have windows bootable floppy and installation CD.
    well ! its worked out... thats the main thing...

.... casper ....
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First