Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
So is it true that I will only need to specify a SWAP partition on the first install? Subsequent installed distros will see and use the same SWAP? yes ! ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

So is it true that I will only need to specify a SWAP partition on the first install? Subsequent installed distros will see and use the same SWAP?
    yes ! all distros recognize existing SWAP...

....again... Fedora is exceptional. it creates its own SWAP. you can direct Fedora to use existing...

.... casper ....
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Thank you so much Casper! I work week-ends so am planning the big install this upcomming week. I'm sure I'll be in touch!

yes ! keep in touch ..

.... casper ....

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    OK, so I installed XP on a 10 GB primary partition (the first 10 GB on 40 GB disk). The rest was unallocated space. I used gparted to make the unallocated space an extended partition. I then successfully installed Ubuntu. BUT when I went back in to look at the partition table, Ubuntu changed my extended partition into a primary partion and installed the / there. The swap was installed at the end of the disk on a 1 GB extened partition. I wanted the whole thing on an extened partition. What did I do wrong?

Hi !

okkk... you didn't resize partitions during installation. you wrote that you will allocate 650 MB SWAP but its 1GB now. i wrote in post #9

Quote Originally Posted by devils_casper
    just take care of partition size... if you wont reset size, then installer will create one BIG root partition, 2x SWAP and will consume whole free space. in that case, after installation, it will be very tough to resize/shrink partitions.

... casper ...

Just Joined!
    Right, duh, it's just so much information so quickly. So I should reformat so I have one big unallocated extended partition with gparted again? Then during Ubuntu install choose "manually edit partition table" (as opposed to "erase entire disk" or "use largest continuous free space"). Then set / and SWAP sizes, format with ext3 and swap respectively, choose mount point / for larger ext3 partition and procede? Is that right?

HI !

now erasing and recreating partitions is not easy.... but we can DO this... you wrote that you created Extended partition but Ubuntu created primary... something wrong somewhere.......
    ok... can you post the output of

$ sudo fdisk -l ( its small 'L' )

casper

Just Joined!
    Here's the output:

Device Boot Start End Blocks ID System
    /dev/hda1 * 1 1275 10241406 7 HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/had2 1276 4864 28828642+ 5 Extended

But I had already done the first part of what I wrote before, that is, using gparted made 1 large extended unallocated partition after the 10GB windows partition.

okk.... so you deleted Ubuntu partitions....
    is windows booting up now ?

casper

Just Joined!
    No. I'm getting:
    GRUB loading, please wait.....
    Error 17
    _

I totally appreciate all your help Casper, I want you to know I am not in a bind though. As previously stated, I'm a Mac user so my main machine and data are not in jeopardy. This PC laptop was given to me with Windows CDs so It wouldn't be that big a deal for me to start over. However, I'm trying to learn about Linux and Windows too so if there is a fix for my screw up here I'd love to figure it out with your guidance of course.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast