Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
now we have to fix windows first. two ways : boot up through XP CD, select 'Repair' and on prompt type 'FIXMBR' sometimes this method not work at all. boot ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

now we have to fix windows first.
    two ways :

boot up through XP CD, select 'Repair' and on prompt type 'FIXMBR'
    sometimes this method not work at all.

boot up through Windwos 98 Bootable Floppy and type
    A:\> fdisk /mbr

this method works 100%. windows 98 is rare now... you can download windows 98 bootable floppy from www.bootdisk.com you will get boot98.exe file ( or something like that ) double click on this file. it will ask for floppy and will create bootable floppy...

now.... windows fixed... booting up...

create a FAT32 partition in extended partition. i prefer FAT32 coz Linux can read/write FAT32 and it can be used for data sharing. make sure that its Logical partition.
    install Ubuntu and this time, take care of size. actually, after creating FAT32 in Extended partition, Ubuntu or any linux distro wont be able to create Primary Partition. Logical partition in Extended wont allow deletion of Extended partition. Linux wont find any free space other than Extended, and wont be able to create Primary Partition......

so... give me good news...

casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    The XP disk fixed the MBR! So now I want to take baby steps. When you say to create a FAT32 partition in extended partition do you mean JUST for data sharing? No OS will go here right? It's only there so Windows and the different distros can all access (mount?) it right? Should I do this with gparted? the disk utility in XP? does it matter?. THen during install of Ubuntu create 9GB ( in my case ) / partition and 650MB SWAP. Then drink a beer?

Just Joined!
    OK, just disregard previous. I realize I'm starting to ask some pretty bone head questions. Anyways, IT WORKS! My hard drive partition map now looks as follows: 10 GB - XP, 27.5 GB - extended, which includes, 500 MB - FAT32 data sharing, 9 GB - Ubuntu and 650 MB SWAP partitions. There are 17.5 GB left unallocated.

Tomorrow I plan to do a internet install of OpenSuSE 10.1. I actually tried this before last week and didn't get to far with it. I think I missed something cause the install screen was really bear bones. I'd be surprised if that was the normanl SuSE install screen. Maybe my 5 year old machine couldn't deal with the nice GUI install screen? Anything I should be aware of when installing SuSE? Just make a root partition for SuSE when I get to it I know very well now.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Hi !

i missed your post #22... answer is "yes" for all questions. disk utility of XP works fine for creating new partitions but we can't shrink /resize existing partitions. well ! i am glad everything worked out.

regarding SuSe... you know everything now.

SuSe will pop up a lot of options for partition structure and Boot Loader (Ubuntu doesnt ask too much). you know what to do with partitions. dont change anything in Boot Loader section. SuSe will install boot loader ( GRUB ) in MBR of /dev/hda same as Ubuntu did. after installation, you will get nice Blue color GRUB screen having a List of installed OS'.

casper

Just Joined!
    Ran into a problem during SuSE install. My machine is not capable of running the nice install GUI so I am stuck with this bare bones one. I didn't have a problem with it though until I got to, you guessed it, partitioning. It will let me put SuSE on the rest of my hard drive (17.5 GB) but I don't want to do that. I only want it on a 8 or 9 GB partition. The only other option is to select "expert partitioning". When I did that it starts off by showing me a partition map that includes a hda3 and hda4 ( impossible cause hda2 is extended ) and an extened partition with my existing Ubuntu, data sharing and swap partitions. Additionally, it was not clear on how to partition. As I wrote, this is a very bare bones installer. Nothing like the nice Ubuntu installer or Gparted. So here's my question. I've already aborted the install, can I boot into Gparted, create my SuSE partition that way and then restart the SuSE install? I'm hoping SuSe will see the new partition and get the idea thats where it's going.

can I boot into Gparted, create my SuSE partition that way and then restart the SuSE install? I'm hoping SuSe will see the new partition and get the idea thats where it's going.
    yes ! create new partition using GParted and format it in 'reiserfs' format. its SuSe's default format. SuSe will recognize 'reiserfs' partition.

casper

Just Joined!
    KRAP! Some how I screwed up again! my unallocated space is not within the extended partition as I though. The extened partition is only about 10 GB with file swap .5, Ubuntu about 9 and swap about .6 GB. KRAP! So now I can only install SuSE in the unallocated space and Gparted will only let me create a primary partition for that. I guess I could do that cause I would still have space for one more partition. It's just not what I wanted to do. I'm feeling like it would have been better for me to just do all my partitioning first, then install. Any suggestions?

you can delete primary partitions through GParted. after deleting, stretch extended partition to extreme right side. if GParted creates problem, then use windows Disk Management Tool to delete these partitions. type "diskmgmt.msc" in RUN dialog box.

you can create partition yourself. i will check SuSe Text Mode installation. i will post back soon.

casper

Just Joined!
    Maybe I wasn't clear. The only primary partition is the 10 GB xp one at the beginning of the disk. Data share, Ubuntu and swap are all on extened.Extended is about 10GB total. The rest of the space is unallocated and not within the extended partition. I am attempting to resize extended with Gparted....And it worked! So now unallocated is within extended and extended is 27.5 with 17.5 free as it should be. Now going to make 9 GB SuSE logical partition for SuSE in reiserfs format.....AHH YES, That worked too. Sweet! Now back to SuSE internet install CD. I'll post back.

Great ! if anything goes wrong again, you know what to do. meanwhile i will check SuSe in Text Mode too...

casper

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast