Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Hello fellow Linux Peoples - and Welcome to my first post! OK - I'm basically an OS X guy but I've been facinated with Linux for a long time. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Partition map for dual boot - Ubuntu/OpenSuSE

Hello fellow Linux Peoples - and Welcome to my first post!

OK - I'm basically an OS X guy but I've been facinated with Linux for a long time. I just started taking these online UNIX/Linux classes at UCONN so I'm pretty new to the whole deal but actively learning. Here's what I want to do:

I have this 5 year old PC laptop and I want to be able to boot it with either OpenSuSE or Ubuntu. Acutally I'd like to be able to put more distros on too. It's got a 40GB hard drive so I was thinking it would be cool to have a coulple of different linuxes on there so I could try them out. Windows will not be involved. So how do I partition the hard drive for this? There must be stuff on the web instructing how to do this, but I can't find anything useful. Thank you!

Hi !

check this thread.... for any further query, you can post here.........

.... casper ....
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!

I'm greener than your lawn

But I'm starting to get the idea. Before I was attempting to completely partition the hard drive first. As noted I will instead do Gparted. (I'm burning the .iso now.)

Additionally I will create separate /boot and /home partitions for each distro but all will share the same swap partition.

I am curious though. My understanding is that PC hard drives can only be partitioned into four primary partitions. The last of which must me an extended partition with logical partitions in it and that parititions within the extended partition are not bootable. How can one install 4 or more distros along with XP and who knows what else? Do I have bad information? How does this all work?

use gparted
    make an big extended partition.than make FAT or NTFS partition for windows and 4ext3 partitions.Make also one swap partition.Than start with installing of linux.(you have made 4 partition for for distros)

My understanding is that PC hard drives can only be partitioned into four primary partitions. The last of which must me an extended partition with logical partitions in it and that parititions within the extended partition are not bootable.
    this is true for windows... windows need primary partition BUT Linux dont care.
    you can install Linux in Logical partition.

for Dual Boot.... this is standard and Most successfull partition structure....

first partition Primary --- install windows in it.
    second partition Extended-----
    create Logical Partition and install Linux

check this thread and read post # 15

.... casper ....

Just Joined!

Learing a lot. Confused a lot too.

I think I am going to do the XP on the first partition thing that everybody seems to do. So I'll do that first on a 9 GB primary partition and then leave the rest of the HD as a free space extended partition as you instruct. In one of your posts, Casper, you then say:

install any distro, select unpartitioned/free space... let it propose partition structure.... dont accept, click back and create manually... 12 GB root, 650 MB SWAP.... nothing to do in Boot Loader section, dual boot is default

OK then, but why when I install Ubuntu does it defaut to a min 2 GB /root partition, xx GB /home partition and a RAM X 2 = xGB Swap partition? I'm confused about having 2 partitions per distro (/boot and /home) and to share the swap, but then your recommendation to do 12GB root with 650 MB swap per partition.

Maybe I'm just totally confused about what " / ", " /boot " and " /home " and mount points are. Can anyone help?! How do these mounts points change when there is more than one distro involved?

Hi !!

by default. Linux create only two partitions. '/' (root) and Swap. there are a few distros, like Fedora which create separate 'boot' partitions.

you can re-arrange whole system. you can create new partitions and mount all/any part of File SyStem. check this link for FILE SYSTEM. root is a base point. /home, /boot, /etc, /usr and a lot more points under it. you can create separate partition for every point.

for SWAP, 2x of RAM... i have 512 MB. i created 650 MB of SWAP. till now used this machine extensively but sysem never used more than 40% SWAP space. if you have 512 MB or more RAM, 750 MB SWAP space is more than enough.

.... casper ....

Just Joined!
    Ahhh! A little more knowledge. So as I understand it, if I don't create (or don't let a distro's default create) a separate /home partition on the hard drive, Linux will just install itself on the one / (root) partition I've created and the home will be installed as a directory under the / (root). In other words, if the installing distro doesn't see a /home partition on the hard drive it will simply install the /home directory under the root. Is that right?

Does the above also apply to /boot paritions? If the partition is not there the distro just puts it under the / (root)?

So when I'm installing a distro and it asks me for mount points I should just choose "/" and that's it?

That's so interesting what you say about SWAP. I will pos def only do 650 MB as you say.

Hi !

In other words, if the installing distro doesn't see a /home partition on the hard drive it will simply install the /home directory under the root. Is that right?
    correct !

Does the above also apply to /boot paritions? If the partition is not there the distro just puts it under the / (root)?
    yes !

So when I'm installing a distro and it asks me for mount points I should just choose "/" and that's it?
    yes ! actually only Fedora creates a separate /boot partition... all other distros create /boot folder under /root... just take care of partition size... if you wont reset size, then installer will create one BIG root partition, 2x SWAP and will consume whole free space. in that case, after installation, it will be very tough to resize/shrink partitions.

.... casper ....

Just Joined!
    just take care of partition size... if you wont reset size, then installer will create one BIG root partition, 2x SWAP and will consume whole free space

Right. I was messing around with a couple of different distro installs and it seems like they all want to partition your drive the way they want.

So is it true that I will only need to specify a SWAP partition on the first install? Subsequent installed distros will see and use the same SWAP?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast