Find the answer to your Linux question:
I think I'm doing something wrong ........ I hope to get some help figuring this out, so I will attempt to give ALL information I can to what I'm doing..... ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Dualboot cont. somethings wrong....

I think I'm doing something wrong ........ I hope to get some help figuring this out, so I will attempt to give ALL information I can to what I'm doing.....

IBM 14.4 (14451 hard drive
    CHS 1757/255/63

March 12th......

1. Used "Disk fitness test 3.40" software to completely write "0" to the drive and MBR.

2. Used Debian 3.0r2's Cfdisk to partition the HD in this configuration:

No 1 4000 MG /root Bootable
    No 2 300 MG /swap
    No 3 4000 MG WindowsNT

3. Installed Linux and added lilo to the MBR. Linux boots and runs great!

4. Attempted to install Windows NT to partition #3, it installs some files, and during the installation it requires reboot. When it reboots it goes straight to Linux, and does NOT continue the Windows installation.

March 13th.....

1. Used "Disk fitness test 3.40" software to completely write "0" to the drive and MBR.

2. This time, I partitioned like this:

No 1 4000 MG /root
    No 2 300 MG /swap
    No 3 4000 MG WindowsNT Bootable

3. Installed Linux and added lilo to MBR. Linux starts and runs fine.

4. Tried to install Windows NT to the 3rd partition again, but again when the installation requires the reboot, the computer boots to lilo and does not continue the installation. (Does the bootable partition have to be located in the first partition?)

Any idea what's going wrong?? What I'm trying to do is install Windows NT AFTER Linux so after I get used to Linux and can remove Windows without any problems or haste. (Just anouther reason for me to HATE windows now!) Thank you and sorry for the long post.

flw
    Linux Engineer
    Have you followed the basic instruction set in http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3573 ?
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Just Joined!
    i think, when linux starts, after u tried to install NT u need to add in lilo(or grub) your NT partition, and after reboot continue the installetion...

Linux Engineer
    I think I have answerd this question 3 times now (instructions for lilo are different from those from grub) . please keep one question to one thred.. instead of posting a new topic every time you post something.

Just Joined!
    My apologies guys, I wasn't trying to cause any problems. If the question was answered before, either I wasn't asking the question properly, ... or just wasn't understanding the answer. Again I apologize.

I think I found the answer (remember I was trying to install Linux FIRST) in a mini-HOWTO. The author also discussed the problem I've dealt with when trying to install windows AFTER Linux.

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Linux+WinNT-2.html

Maybe after viewing the above link, my question will be understood more easily. Again, my apologizes.

Yeh Windows likes to be installed first and normally wants to be on your first partition so maybe swap / and NT around so #1 is NT and #3 is Linux.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ak4me
    When it reboots it goes straight to Linux, and does NOT continue the Windows installation.
    It goes straight to Linux because your bootable partiton is the one with linux.In this case, if you want to continue the windows instalation, then you`ll have to make your 3rd partition active(this you can do with fdisk from a dos prompt).After you complete the instalation make the linux partiton active and then add to lilo/grub the windows OS...
    You don`t need to install windows on first partition!The only thing you`ll have to do is just to install it first(on 3rd partition) and then linux with it`s boot loader.