Find the answer to your Linux question:
I want to be able to run Linux on my Alienware Aurora m9700 laptop, but no matter what I do I can't get anything to run on it. I've attempted ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

What is Wrong Here??

I want to be able to run Linux on my Alienware Aurora m9700 laptop, but no matter what I do I can't get anything to run on it. I've attempted dual-boots and full-installs with the same result: LiveCDs never boot to completion, and installations act the same way.

One issue that's apparent is the presence in my system of an nVidia semi-hardware RAID array. It acts like hardware RAID, but requires drivers, so it's not entirely transparent to the OS. As a result, if the correct drivers aren't included in the installation, nothing works. For some reason, this seems to be a problem with LiveCDs too. Maybe the nVidia components are messing with the boot even though it doesn't need the harddisks?

So, what do I do? I'm not even sure what direction to go in this.

Thanks,
    Mike

TRy with a big distro that may come with the drivers you need e.g SuSE
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums