Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello ladies and Gents out there in Linux Land I am a first time Linux user, and I love the OS thus far. I have begun learning to program C++ ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Another Dual-boot Dual-HD question

Hello ladies and Gents out there in Linux Land

I am a first time Linux user, and I love the OS thus far. I have begun learning to program C++ and have a MUD that runs on Linux which is what originally brought me to the OS. Anyway, to make my story a little shorter, I have slackware 10.2 On a HD and Windows on a different HD.. I have tried a few different things to get these two HD's to be Dual boot.

The problem I am having now is this:

I have two seperate HD's I am wishing to run, since they are only 20G each and I'm really poor as a full-time student and have no money for spares -- Is having both OS's already installed going to make any difference?

(Each OS works perfectly when booted in the master slot, jumped as the master)

My windows HD is the master, Linux HD is the slave, and upon startup, I get the dual boot option, and windows will boot fine, when I select linux, it LILO pops up and does its thing, then once it pops to the Linux load screen and goes through my hardware, it gets to the HD and is unable to mount.

I modified the MBR as instructed in a dual-boot setup howto I read, and did the same with windows to get it to this point in the first place, but now I am unable to mount my linux HD.

Does anyone know if this is a simple fix, I read another howto that was based off having windows installed, but installing linux on the seperate HD as you performed the dual-boot setup, I'd rather not have to do this, but I have the boot disc's ready to go, as well as a copy of SUSE pro I could use if its just a Slackware Distro problem..

I'm sure this section gets many questions from people like me about dual-boot setups, and If this is the worlds most redundant question, I appologize. I truly enjoy linux thus far and can't wait to become more familiar with it!

thanks

-Brett

Just Joined!
    I do not know if I can help, but here are some questions just to figure out some things:

Question 1: Does your computer AT ALL have something where you can press a key when you turn it on and it might list something like some Dell computers do (like 'First Hard Disk' or 'Removable Disk Drive' or something)?

Question 2: If your computer does recognize the other drive, are there partitions for Windows to see?

Question 3: If your system has a way to set up more than one hard drive, then does that allow you to set it up so you can press a key and select that drive?

I have an idea, but this setup was done on a laptop with one hard drive, but uses Linux and Windows:

Step 1: Start Linux Setup
    Step 2: Login as 'root'
    Step 3: Run 'fdisk /dev/hda' or 'cfdisk /dev/hda' (This is what I did for my computer; I think if there is a second hard drive added, it may be called /dev/hdb, so I believe that it is 'fdisk /dev/hdb' or 'cfdisk /dev/hdb')
    Step 4: Partition drive
    Step 5: Select partition for boot (I believe that there is a way to have the hard drives boot, but here I would be careful)
    Step 6: Start setup
    Step 7: Install LILO to the Linux partition (Again, I would be careful, or if it fails, if you can, use a boot disk, which is one option there)
    Step 8: Finish Setup
    Step 9: Reboot

Again, I would, if necessary, use a boot diskette, if your computer has a floppy diskette drive, or in the alternative, if your computer supports this, use a USB device to boot the Linux partition. But the thing did work for me, and I did select the Linux partition as the one to boot. I have a question, and if you are not sure and want to wait, then you may, but did you try the Linux drive as the master? I am not sure, but maybe the Linux drive may be able to serve as master and the Windows drive as slave, because though Windows can boot, once it is installed, I believe that you can change the boot partition

I believe the way to do that is:
    Run 'fdisk' or 'cfdisk', and then in either program, select the Linux partition to boot. Again, I am not sure, but I believe that the Windows partition has to be first on the hard drive, but the Linux partition can be made bootable

NOTE: I believe that the Linux partition on whatever diskette has to be primary. I believe that I had trouble with installing it to extended partition, so I believe that it must be primary so it can boot

Again, I hope this helps. PLEASE CONTACT ME IF ANYTHING HAPPENS, because I am not sure, but I believe that this may work

Just Joined!
    First answer, No my computer doesn't use the keyboard to turn on, Its assembled from parts I got for free..

Second answer, No, windows does not recognize the Linux file system on my second HD, but Linux does recognize that I have a second HD installed when I boot it, though I am unable to do anything to it.

Third answer, There was no system option for dual boot until I installed it in the boot.ini in windows.

Everything works by itself, but when I try to select the linux OS boot from my boot prompt, linux loads through Lilo, and then as its doing its system check with the penguin at the top (slackware OS) it comes to an error and says it cannot mount the HD, like, fs0 or something.

Lilo works fine, the OS just wont Mount the HD

boggle
    -Brett

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close