Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have an HP pc that has two partitions: The Windows operating system and the HP Sys Recovery system. I tried using SwissKnife to add a partition, but it says ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Trying to set up Tripple-boot

I have an HP pc that has two partitions: The Windows operating system and the HP Sys Recovery system. I tried using SwissKnife to add a partition, but it says it can't create a new partition or delete a partiton because it has system files on it. Is there any way i can create a new partition?

PS: This is for knoppix

yes use gparted live cd
    you can get it here
    http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...kage_id=173828

boot into it and resize one of existing partitions to get free space.Now create new partition on that free space

i hope that helps

Just Joined!
    Thanks. Looking now

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    How do i get my BIOS to boot from cd?

just enter cd and restart your computer.Gparted should boot automaticly
    else
    open setup or menu .try pressing del,F2,F11,F12
    if you will enter setup then select primary ide slave.Change it from auto to cd/dvd.
    in boot menu select cd dvd only.

i hope that helps

Just Joined!
    Hmm... I did that, and instead of booting to windows, it gives me a blank screen with the little _ thing. I just pulled out a cd and it is scratched up so i will try a different cd

are you sure that iso image is burned as well?

Just Joined!
    You can use something like LILO to triple-boot, but be very careful! Some boot loaders get VERY picky, so you have to be careful when you do this.

FIRST:
    Check to see if the partitions are MOUNTABLE, because Linux can mount them, and I believe it can check them. It does not mean you have to mount them, but it may be a good idea to see if they are mountable (if one of them fails, then a backup of the information might help, but that is irrelevant).

SECOND:
    USE FDISK OR CFDISK OR SOMETHING TO VERIFY INFORMATION ABOUT THE PARTITION SET! I know of a Dell that has a VFAT Boot and a CP/M or other recovery. These can be mounted, but that only mentions possibility. But in general, verify the information.

THIRD:
    Enter the boot loader config. I shall use LILO as example. Because it can boot other operating systems, you have to tell it in some cases which table the partition uses (this can be mentioned in terms of general drives, like '/dev/hda', '/dev/hdb', et cetera). Enter the information in LILO as directed, or in some instances, by example:

# HP System recovery partition begins
    other = HPSysRecover
    table = /dev/hd$DRIVE # $DRIVE is 'a' or 'b', making it 'hda' or 'hdb' or whatever
    # boot-as = $BOOTCODE # $BOOTCODE is optional, so do not enter this line if you do not need to
    # partition-ignore # This, I believe (please look it up in case of error), means that if the order is not as expected, that it is not a big deal really

In this instance, the initial '#' sign means comment. The $DRIVE compl,etes the 'hd' whatever, so it does show as 'hda' or whatever drive you are working with. The first of the two commented lines tells it that, in instances like DOS or OS/2, that it uses a certain code (sometimes expressed as hexadecimal number) that can tell it what drive to boot as (this is just what they say). The second of the two commented lines I believe tells it not to worry if the partitions are out of order. This does happen, and if the line that says 'partition-ignore' is not accurate, then forget even typing it, and instead there is something else you should type.

Now, run 'lilo'. If it turns out that it has an error message that talks about the partitions out of order, then type 'lilo -P ignore' (this is the "something else that you should type"). The '-P ignore' tells it that the partitiohn table is no big deal, and it can boot anyway.

When you reboot, then it should work. Oh, if you have multiple partitions, then all you do above is:

FOR each partition DO the appropriate changes above. LILO requires that information provided for in the sample for each partition, but other than that, you save it, run LILO to get them all registered, and then when you reboot, they should all be there.

AGAIN, I am going on my own experience. Read the documentation from any part of the computer just to check. Sometimes it may require you to run a separate thing, and you can also use GParted LiveCD as someone else suggested. I mention using LILO only because I use that, but it may not prove to work well because I do not know.

My system specs:
    AVERATEC AV3270-EE1
    Mobile AMD Sempron 2800+ (?)
    (I believe that in Linux it is seen as ATHLON64/TURION)
    512 MB RAM
    ~60 to 80 GB HD
    Windows XP Home Edition SP2
    Slackware Linux 10.2

I hope this helps. Good luck with the partitions, and I hope it works, whatever you decide to do. Remember, this is only an option, NOT required. If anything seems required, then it is because it goes with the option.

Just Joined!
    I am sorry. Please disregard the last post. Thank you for disregarding.