Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi there folks! This question maybe shoulda' been posted in the Gentoo forums but ... oh well, here it goes: I got my new (26 megabit! I'm satisfied...) broadband connection ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Installing my broadband

Hi there folks!

This question maybe shoulda' been posted in the Gentoo forums but ... oh well, here it goes:

I got my new (26 megabit! I'm satisfied...) broadband connection working under windows xp but not under my Gentoo-Linux (I dualboot).
    You see, the "How to install-Manual" only describes how to install it in Windoze 95, 98, ME, 2000 and XP, sorry no linux (for the swedish people around, I'm talking about Bostream).

All i can do is telling you whaqt it says about installing it into XP and then hope you can translate it into Gentoo, so here it goes:

1. You open up "network connections" where you find one called "Connection to local network" which you right-click to open up properties.

2. You then open up properties for Internet Protocol (It's the alternative only you actually have some uses for) where you can should enter the IP-address, DNS-servers (primary and secondary), Gateway and Netmask that you have got from Bostream.

3. Press OK and go surfin'.

As far as i've come, i've set the right gateway but i don't know the rest.
    Also i don't know if it's because of the settings that my Gentoo says it can't bring eth0 up because it couldn't finish (or something like that) netmount upon bootup.

Linux Guru
    in linux, your dns servers generally go into /etc/resolv.conf

for example, my file may looks this (these values WONT WORK for you though, replace them with your dns servers):

Code:
    nameserver 194.168.4.100
    nameserver 194.168.8.100
    In debian, the ip address and gateway go into /etc/network/interfaces, i dont know if gentoo will have the file in the same place, so a bit of intuitition may be called for.

my file looks like this:
    Code:
    iface eth0 inet static
    address 213.253.1.176
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    gateway 213.253.1.1
    Once again, put your values in here.

Good luck.

Dont forget you can also ask gentoo specific questions in linux.gentoo newsgroup, http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=28

Jason

thanks a bunch! i got my broadband working smoothly now thanks to your advice.

the only problem is that i think that my realtek 8139 card is ****ed up so i never really get my 26 mbit (actually, i get a lot less), is there any way to test this if its the card or the connection?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by linduxed
    thanks a bunch! i got my broadband working smoothly now thanks to your advice.

the only problem is that i think that my realtek 8139 card is ****ed up so i never really get my 26 mbit (actually, i get a lot less), is there any way to test this if its the card or the connection?
    26 megabit connection?

I'm not sure if that's even possible for a broadband.. My T1 at home runs at over 3776Kbps... (equivalent of 3Mbps)

You sure they said 26mbit? cause that's awfully close to a backbone speed.

yep 26 mbit!

or at least it says so in the contract and on the webpage

check it out https://www.bostream.com/controller.php?action=private

It is written in swedish so just watch the numbers to the right:
    26 Mbit - 398 kr/month (1$ is about 7 kr)

Are you sure that is right it is well above T1. IIRC the name broadband stops at connections 3Mbs + by law at least in the UK.

Linux Guru
    Almost every country in the world gets faster "broadband" than the UK, becuase the UK consumer is being ripped off all the time. Japan for example, you get get 52MBits as a standard home connection if i remember rightly.

Anyway...

26MegaBITS should give you about 3.2MegaBytes download speed.

What is the actual speed you are getting?

Also, your download speed will be affected by the side that you are downloading from, if they can only serve content at 1MB/Sec, you will only download from them at a max of 1MB/Sec, even if your connection is actually capable of 3Mb.

Jason

yeah you have to watch that bit and bytes thing and remember they are different
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

Arnt megabits rounded of. So insted of 1024 its 1000?

not exactly sure but this explains all the differences if anyone cares to read it

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/bytes.htm
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast