Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everyone. I am attempting to install fedora core 5 to dual boot with xp home. Xp was previously installed on an ide hard drive and I installed FC 5 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

no boot loader after Fedora 5 install

Hi everyone.
    I am attempting to install fedora core 5 to dual boot with xp home.
    Xp was previously installed on an ide hard drive and I installed FC 5 on a sata hard drive. At the end of the installation process, right before the request to reboot I see the boot loader being installed. When I reboot the machine,it boots directly to windows. I don't see grub.
    I have searched this forum for this problem and found advice offered at this thread, to install grub to the mbr. http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/ins...fedora+install

I typed linux rescue at the "boot:" prompt and waited...and waited...for 25 minutes and nothing happened, I don't get another prompt.If I type linux rescue and hit enter it begins the installation process???
    I should mention this is my first experience with linux, I'm a total newbie.
    Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
    thanx

press F5 or F4 to get rescue prompt.....
    you dont get grub screen because is not installed on mbr....

i hope that helps

HI !

unplug windows disk and try 'linux rescue' again.

casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    jan 1024188, F5 just tells you how to enter rescue mode ie type linux rescue and hit enrter.

devils_casper I tried your suggestion and got the same results as before ...waited 5 minutes and never got a prompt ...hit enter and install proceeds.
    Had to enter bios and reset the hard drive boot order to have the computer boot again...to windows.

this is strange ! did you install FC5 from this CD/DVD ?

casper

Just Joined!
    Hi, the install was done off a DVD iso. I cleaned up the other partition on the ide drive and I'm going to try the the install there.
    thanx

Just Joined!
    Well...it worked, I installed FC5 on the ide drive and I'm using it right now.It took a number of hours to sort through the 26 gb of data,moving, backing up and deleting.
    I can't offer an explanation as to why the boot loader would not install to the mbr when FC5 was installed on the sata drive???
    Next I think I'll reformat the partition on the sata drive that held FC5 to fat 32 so I can share data between the operating systems.Good idea?
    As I mentioned before,I'm new to linux, so I'm sure I'll be back to visit the forum again.

Thanx for your help.

peace

Next I think I'll reformat the partition on the sata drive that held FC5 to fat 32 so I can share data between the operating systems.Good idea?
    yes ! Linux support read/write in FAT32. create a FAT32 partition for data sharing !

casper