Find the answer to your Linux question:
I apologize if this has been answered already, but i am a complete beginner to linux and i'm really frickin confused. I am trying to install RedHat 9.1 on a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Partition ****up

I apologize if this has been answered already, but i am a complete beginner to linux and i'm really frickin confused. I am trying to install RedHat 9.1 on a dell xp machine with about a 50GB hard drive. I downloaded the isos for discs 1-3 from linuxiso.org, all verified. I used partition magic to resize the NTFS partition to about 30GB and made new swap and linux ext2 partitions with the remaining space. The partitions were ordered: NTFS, SWAP, ext2. I told partition magic that i would install linux immediately after creating the new partitions. Everything went well until i ran redhat setup. It couldn't read the hard drive, and i can't boot windows normally now either. I used knoppix live to get the system up, and am using it now. All partitions are readable and i don't notice anything missing. However, on hda2, the linux partition, there is 5GB used and an empty folder called lost and found. Is this a windows folder? I read something about linux having to start in the first 1024 cylinders of memory, which i doubt it is right now, but i would like to be able to at least boot windows. Let me know what i did wrong and how to fix it and get the dual boot running.

when you run the Redhat install, you'll get to a stage where it starts talking about partitions. Don't take the automatic option but select the customise option. You'll then be presented with a graphical representation of your hard disk. From here you can, distructively, amend the sizes of you partions. So leave your NTFS one alone and and adjust your swap and etx2 ones, if you wish. Tell the installer which partion is going to be swap and which is going to be ext2 and your root (/) partition.

Then carry on with the install.

When you say that you can no longer boot Windows, what , if anything, do you get when you boot up? You'll find plenty of stuff in the tutorial section of this site about sorting out boot problems (even getting windows back!).

Let me know how you get one.

have fun

Nerderello

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS

Just Joined!
    yea, all it says for windows is OS load failed, immediately after the BIOS. Also for Redhat, i don't think i ever got to the partition stage. After i tell it what mouse i have i hangs for a while and the hard drive makes a lot of noise, then it says "Input/output error on /dev/hda". Maybe more is wrong than the hard drive. let me know what you think.

Just Joined!
    Alright, i deleted and reformatted the NTFS partition, reinstalled XP and got it booting right. I used partition magic to reformat the linux partition, this time to ext3, but it still says 640 MB used and redhat won't install. I was wonering if it would be a good idea to just delete the linux partition and see if the redhat setup will format it. help me out

Just Joined!
    First of all i would like you to suggest not to use anymore ntfs.The advantages of using ntfs are quite few...And another thing, why do you use only one partition for windows?I think it`s better for your system to have a windows OS partition of about 4 GB and the rest for data.
    Question: what type of hard-disk do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by ducu13
    First of all i would like you to suggest not to use anymore ntfs.The advantages of using ntfs are quite few...And another thing, why do you use only one partition for windows?I think it`s better for your system to have a windows OS partition of about 4 GB and the rest for data.
    Question: what type of hard-disk do you have?
    There are problems to this NTFS supports (Kinda) file permissions/acl's so if you need this functionalty stick with NTFS (Multi-users come to mind) also FAT cannot go above the 40Gb mark IIRC, Since most computers come with 60Gb up you might need a few partitions. I do agree with puting the OS on its own partition i have always done this but i would give it a bit more then 4Gb since WindowsXP takes 1.5Gb that leaves you with 2.5Gb for programs and download (Even if you download to another partition it will be cached to the C: drive) So while downloading those Gig pr0n films you might run out of space killing the system perfomance.

Linux Engineer
    whats IIRC? i shoudl know but.. anyway... coz ive gat a 140gb fat32 partition here and its fine, I know theres a thign with it assinging rather large blocks or somethign and was told no mor ethan 20gb per partition. you would be doign well to find a file on there < 50mb tho so it probably doesnt matter. The only issue u had with it was windoze choking if i tried to cpoy big file sonto it (eg. a 4.5gb dvd rip)

IIRC is - If I remeber correctly , I guess thats cause it fragments so much and thats why they say 40Gb IIRC to stop big frags.