Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok, well lets start with my first problem, as the others do not matter if I fail to resolve this, it is somewhat frustrating. A while ago I downloaded the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

RedHat ISO problems/data recovery, XP laptop partitioning

Ok, well lets start with my first problem, as the others do not matter if I fail to resolve this, it is somewhat frustrating.

A while ago I downloaded the RedHat 9 ISO's and burned them. I have an installation I use on an old box as a web development testing server.

A few days ago I decided that I needed to rebuild my laptop (VAIO PCG-F709K), so, I decided that I would format the drive as FAT32 instead of NTFS (so that I can also install RedHat and be able to use my windows partition space). Anyway, I came to boot up the installation CD for RedHat, and to my suprise, it would not install. The disc booted, took me through the options of selecting Language, Keyboard etc but then when it asked for my installation type, and I selected Local CDROM, it told me that it cannot find the RedHat media in the drive. I looked at the CD, there are no scratches and there is no damage to the top side (I last used this about 4 months ago). Very frustrating. So, I booted up my desktop and tried to make a copy of the disc, it failed to read part of the BASE directory. Annoying. I copied all I could from the CD to my desktop HDD, and found that the hdlist2 and various stage2 IMG files could not be read. All of the RPM's and other bits on the disc would read. I then tried the disc in a friends laptop, and lo and behold, his drive managed to read the files I was missing, so I copied them to his HDD and zapped them over to my desktop. Now with the complete contents of the CD intact on my HDD I tried burning a disc with Nero. Seemed ok, everythign went on ok, although of course it was not bootable. I booted up with a redhat boot floppy, came to the select install media option again, popped in my newly burned disc (with all the data on it) and again it failed to recognise it as a RedHat install disc. Dam!

So, now I have a problem (oh, BTW do not use Princo CDR, they must have some quality degridation issues). I have just started to download a new CD1 ISO, from an internet cafe (I am now out in turkey and only have 56k myself), 17hours remaining on their 256k ADSL.

Is there a way I can make a recognisable RedHat9 disc from the data I have? I have all of the data there, it's so frustrating!!!! I tried asking in a few computer shops here in Marmaris if they have RedHat9 (it would be cheaper to buy it than pay for the time to download it here) but no luck.

Ok, so assuming I can sort that out and install redhat, I now have a question about partitioning. As I could not install RedHat first, I went ahead and installed XP Pro, I created a 13GB FAT32 Partition for windows which I have now installed on, and left 3GB unpartitioned for RedHat. Am I going to have problems with partitioning when I finally get to install RedHat, I ask this as the empty space is the last 3GB of the drive, after the 2GB bound. I was planning on creating a 20MB boot partition, 512MB swap partition and having the rest of the space for the '/' partition. Will I need to make any changes with Partition Magic before I install RedHat? I don't want to end up with XP being unbootable (or Vice-versa).

Thanks for bearing with me...

It seems that the CD went dodgy did you leave it in the dark? I would not say you have all the CD there maybe some files are corrupt you best bet is to download again.

EDIT :- Also i would create a bigger boot partion the 20Mb if you are using a journel which RH does this will take up most of the partition plus the 10% reserved for root.

Just Joined!
    Yes the disc's were in a box being shipped from the UK to Turkey for 3 months, strange and annoying that this is the only disc to have this problem. Downloading again is very painful, 17 hours it is I guess, thats 20 worth of internet cafe time!

I have not yet made any new partitions, simply the 13GB windows partiton, and 3GB of unpartitioned space. What would you recommend, or will redhat installation do all the partitioning for me?

BTW I don't think the recovered files are corrupt as when I managed t.o recover one on my desktop and I opened it in notepad, it had filled the file with 'this is padding' text. When recovered via my friends laptop, they all contain valid data. Weird.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Yeh let RH partition it. Have you got any where you can use a quick connection? Also keep your eye out in the shops i got a full set of mandrake CD a few months ago with LinuxFormat.

Just Joined!
    This is a fast internet connection, the fastest I will find in this country outside of Istanbul (256KB ADSL).

All magazines here are in Turkish, and I don't think people use Linux much, they still install Windows98 on new PC's!

Sorry to hear it im stumped then i would write what you have to a CD and make an ISO then MD5 it to check the checksums agains redhats then you will know if it corrupt.

Just Joined!
    Aye, that will not MD5 though as the original is bootable so must be setup differently.

The other thought I had was to create an ISO of the old disc, then use an iso editor to delete the files I know are corrupt and inject the good files.

But if the files are corrupt on the CD they will be corrupt on your HDD the CD-ROM drive can only correct some errors.

Just Joined!
    Wooooooooo Hooooooooooo!!! Injecting the good files into an ISO image of the bad CD worked, thank you UltraISO!

It took 4 boots to get the install running from the CD (the first 3 times it gave an CPIO:Bad Magic error), and there were a few packages it had to try to read 4 times, but all is ok

I used partition magic to move the windows partition back 612MB and then made a 102MB boot partition and 510MB swap partition, right at the front to the disk. Seems to work well.