Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, our site http://www.planningevents.com runs on a Linux (RedHat 7.2 based) Apache 1.3.x server at Hostway.com What I need to do (by next Tuesday if possible) is get our site ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Website installation on laptop to run at a tradeshow.

Hello, our site http://www.planningevents.com runs on a Linux (RedHat 7.2 based) Apache 1.3.x server at Hostway.com

What I need to do (by next Tuesday if possible) is get our site (MySQL database and all) loaded onto a laptop for a tradeshow presentation. The show hall does not have high speed internet access, so the whole site must run locally.

Can anyone guide me (quickly) on how/what is the easiest way to accomplish this.

Many thanks, Dino

Linux Guru
    have you got a laptop with an operating system installed already?
    is mysql installed?
    is apache installed?

Once you've got that far, then you should be able to dump your database, (check with your hosting company how to do this on their systems), and import it into the mysql database server running on the laptop.

Then download your website files using FTP, and put them in the apache htdocs directory locally. (as you offer a webdesign service, you SHOULD have knowledge of FTP etc).

Jason

Linux User
    Something’s to consider that might make your life (a little) easier is to make sure that everything that you are installing on the laptop is the same version. You stated that you are running on RH 7.2 and Apache 1.3.x but you didn't say what version of MySQL you are running. There's a good chance that a newer version will work with an older dump file, but not the other way around.

Find the person that uploads new files to the web server at the hosting site. If they can upload them, then they can probably download them too.

It looks like you are working this weekend.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close