Find the answer to your Linux question:
Trying to install mandrake 10 on an old POS laptop more or less for fun (perhaps run a server on it). Its a Portege 3020CT and it has a pcmcia ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

mandrake on portege 3020CT laptop

Trying to install mandrake 10 on an old POS laptop more or less for fun (perhaps run a server on it). Its a Portege 3020CT and it has a pcmcia cd-rom, 96MB ram, 6gig HDD

It has no option to boot from a cd-rom... (this is extremely old, 300mhz, 96mb of ram).

Using the pcmcia boot floppy I managed to get the installer to recognize my external pcmcia cd-rom for installation.
    I put in disc 1 or 3 for Mandrake 10 community.
    I reached the language selection, selected english, then accepted the license agreement. Shortly after I got to another screen that says:

Found "imm", "ppa" interfaces
    Do you have another one?
    Yes/No/See hardware info

If I select yes I get a list of what appears to be a bunch of differnt drivers (random letters/numbers)

If I select no, it tells me:

An error occurred
    An error occurred - no valid devices were found on which to create new filesystems. Please check your hardware for the cause of this problem

Linux User

google

I found this in the first page of a google "linux Portege 3020CT".

this ones debian - http://www.gweep.net/~sfoskett/linux/p3010.html#toc3

might help. You could always follow these instructions and go with debian.
    No trees were harmed during the creation of this message. Its made from a blend of elephant tusk and dolphin meat.