Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello out there. Unfortunately I have a small (heh) problem, I apologize if this has been answered before, although I did search I couldn't find any results. OK, so I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Partition Mistake

Hello out there. Unfortunately I have a small (heh) problem, I apologize if this has been answered before, although I did search I couldn't find any results. OK, so I was trying to install Linux it asked me for the partition thingy, so I selected the "Use free space" option. However, the disk defrag wasn't completed apparently, so it asked me to do that and then try later. So as I gonna reboot the system and start it on Windows, I accidentaly pressed the "Delete Windows" option, I immideately realized the mistake, and pressed cancel immediately. It ran for about 5 secs. Now, I can't get into Windows, it says it can't find the OS...

I realize this was a mistake on my part, but I know no one who I can ask this. I think you figured out my distress, I have a lot of important info on my Windows and now I need it back.

Please help me, any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance, a stupid n00b :P :(

Linux Engineer
    I didnt realise there was a "deleet windows partion" option with any distro, at least, not just a button that you click.. with every distro I have used there have been many safegaurds in place to stop this from being done acidently, what distro do you use?

Oh and what do you mean "defrag wasnt compleated"? you dont need to defragment with windows before you install linux.. that is a myth.

can you read the wondows partition from Linux (even a CD standalone one like Knopix or SUSE)? Or is it well and truely Donald.

Nerderello

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    In reply to Variant:
    Ummm... really? It's a myth? Cause it asked me to make it... it said the disk wasn't defragged completely... I dunno?

And the menu was like:
    Delete windows (This was selected by default)
    Use empty space
    Custom partition

When I pressed back to exit the installation, I accidentaly pressed enter and so the delete windows was ignited. It didn't give any confirmation dialog whatsoever

In reply to Nerderello:
    A friend who helped me some said that when he checked the partititions, it only detected the lnux ones

BTW, thanks for the help so far!

Linux Engineer
    What distro of linux is this? Use cfdisk to check the partition table of the windows disk.

oh dear, sounds like you've deleted your Windows. But never mind, Windows is a horrible excuse for an operating system. So look on the bright side, your PC is better of without it.

Now, more seriously, what you can do, if you want to that is, is re-instal Windows. When you do that you'll find that windows, bless its little heart, will erase your boot loader (Grub or Lilo) from your master boot record (mbr). So, before you that, make sure that you have a, working, Linux boot diskette. This will allow you to boot into Linux and re-instal your boot loader once you have Windows back.

If you feel a little unsure of what you want to do next, you are more than welcome to discuss things here.

have fun

Nerderello

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS

Just Joined!
    In reply to Nerderello:
    Windows is a poor OS, I know that, but geez what can I do? Heh...

Well, anyway, I'll get the Windows disk and reinstall Windows, btw is there any chance all my info will still be there? Cause if not, I'm gonna have a headache. Anyway, thanks for the help, I'll post here my updates ;)

What you can try to do is boot up linux using Slackware.
    Use Fdisk on it to rebuild you partion indexes.
    Set the filesystems to what they were.
    Use Linux to load up and browse the system,
    And/Or set the bootflag on the right partition.
    One thing is for sure, you won't be able to boot from that partition if the format allready started.

I know it sounds confusing, but I've done it before...
    Should work, but I hope you have an angel on you shoulders.
    It is usualy: Bye Bye...
    ---[ MS09-99896 - Vulnerability in All MS Windows OS ; Using Windows Could Allow Remote Code Execution. ]---
    Hardware: Asus P4P800, 1GB, P4-3Ghz, Asus V9950, Maxtor ATA HD\'s, 3Com GBit lan, Audigy ZS Plat.

Linux User
    Any chance of trying fdisk from a Windows boot floppy? It's worth a shot to see if the Windows partitions are truely gone or not...
    \"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.\"
    Albert Einstein