Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I would like to know if its safe to do this to not only be able to have 4 Prime Partitions.Afterwards I it would look like this when finished if ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Safe to Delete Dell Utility Partition

I would like to know if its safe to do this to not only be able to have 4 Prime Partitions.Afterwards I it would look like this when finished if possible all booting by GRUB.Should I install Windows XP first and does this effect the BIOS when the Dell Utility is Deleted.

Windows XP
    BSD
    Linux
    Solaris
    \"TTFN Taa Taa For Now\" by Tigger in Winnie the Pooh
    http://www.distrowatch.com Linux Distros
    We Live in a Windows World but there is Linux to save the day

Dell provide only 'Rescue Disk' and without Dell Utility, you wont be able to fix windows. if you have Windows Installation disk then you can delete Dell Utility.

install windows first and then Linux.... no problems... even if something goes wrong with GRUB, you can fix that easily.

casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

It really depends on whether you'll use Windows again. I scrapped mine straight away. Even if you install say XP Pro over your home install it will probably be useless to you already as I think nowadays it's an image of the Home installation.

Even if you install say XP Pro over your home install it will probably be useless to you already as I think nowadays it's an image of the Home installation.
    AFAIK, Rescue Disks provided by Dell or other companies has only rescue tool. some companies provide image also. installing form an image wont make any difference. its better to use Original Windows CD not the one porvided by company.

casper

I have the both the Windows XP install cd from Dell and the System Software Cd from dell also

i am not sure if dell's windows xp install cd is an image or not. mostly, these companies provide windows OEM version only. in that case, you will end up with same windows and same partition structure.

leave windows as it is, back up data from Last partition and delete that partition. dont format. install linux in that free/unpartitioned space. dual boot is default in all distributions. GRUB will have an entry for Windows.

casper

The Windows Cd is just like a normal XP cd or customized for dell computers and can be used on any other computer.The software cd has all of the system software which one of them sats diagnostics and utilities.

alright ! Linux will give you dual boot by default.
    now its on you. either remove windows, install it again and then install Linux OR delete last partition and install Linux.

casper

Here is how it would go

Delete Dell Parition
    Remove All other partitions
    Bootup GParted
    Create Parition
    Install
    Windows XP-primary
    BSD-primary
    Solaris-primary
    Linux- extended and swap is inside it
    Configure GRUB

Windows need Primary Partition BUT Linux dont care... its very tricky/tough to reszie/delete parimary partitions.
    install windows first in Primary Partition. Create Extended partition of the rest of space. Create Logical Partitions for all Linux distros in that Extended Partition. its very easy to do anything with Logical Partitions.

casper

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast