Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everyone So I have 2 hds, both are maxtor 40GB ones. On my primary master, I have windows XP. My slave was empty. I ran a fedora install dvd ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Dual boot?

Hi everyone

So I have 2 hds, both are maxtor 40GB ones. On my primary master, I have windows XP. My slave was empty. I ran a fedora install dvd and followed the steps. When the install asked where to install, I unchecked hda and left only hdb checked, because I thought I shouldnt mess with my windows xp drive, right?

So, the install finished, but it never asked about dual boot (figures). I can get both my operating systems to work just fine using my bios to boot from the other hd, but I would really really like a nice dual boot menu. I get a dual boot menu btw, when I boot the fedora hd, but it only lists fedora.

Looking around on google I found many tips tricks and whatnot but it didnt work. Here are some of the things I tried:

I tried booting the install dvd again, choosing to update an existing installation and choosing to make a new boot loader. However, the install failed with the following message: "No kernel packages were installed on your system. Your boot loader configuration has not been changed." After that it claimed install was complete (it did nothing lol) and nothing changed.

I also read that it might help to run linux rescue, then type "chroot /mnt/sysimage" (that command worked) and then "grub-install /dev/hda" (gives some bios error).

So what do I do now?

I was thinking maybe it should be possible to edit my existing boot loader (on my fedora hd) and just keep my bios setting at booting the slave?

I hope you guys can help me

connect Fedora disk as Primary and Windows disk as slave. boot up Fedora.
    add this code at the end of file
    Code:
    title Windows XP
        rootnoverify (hd1,0)
        map (hd0) (hd1)
        map (hd1) (hd0)
        chainloader +1
    now open /boot/grub/device.map file
    add this code
    Code:
     (hd1) /dev/hdb
    reboot.....

casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Hey, it works! I cant thank you enough!

One little thing though, how do I make it so Windows XP is default instead of Fedora?

There should be an option at the top of the grub.conf file that allows you to change the default.
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

open grub.conf file again. now count 'title' lines without '#' sign. start counting from 0. there is a line in starting of file....

default 0
    change value of this to windows title number.
    if anything goes wrong, post the contents of grub.conf file.

casper

Just Joined!
    It works! Though the default part I shouldve thought of heh

Thanks both of you

no problemo !

casper