Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everyone, I bought a LaCie 250 GB external hard drive a while ago. I though that I would install Linux on it so I could dual boot my computer ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation Grub Error 21

Hi everyone,
    I bought a LaCie 250 GB external hard drive a while ago. I though that I would install Linux on it so I could dual boot my computer (my laptop had not much space left, an external hard drive was my only option). I installed Linspire on it but when I tried to boot, Grub gave me an Error 21. Re-installation gives the same results.
    I asked a friend and he told me to partition it into smaller fragments. I decided to install Debian while doing so (I chose the Desktop machine partitioning scheme, which seemed to partition my hard drive for me).
    Grub still shows error 21.
    I´m pretty sure that it is not because it cannot access my hard drives. Through Linspire Live CD (the only way I can boot right now) I can access both my external hard drive and my laptop´s hard drive.
    Please help ASAP, any will be appreciated.
    P.S. Go easy on me. I´m a Linux newbie.

re-installing Grub in the MBR of External Disk will solve the problem.
    connect external disk and boot up through LiveCD. post the output of 'fdisk -l' command.

casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First