Find the answer to your Linux question:
Good day, I have a small problem and am wondering the best way to fix it. I have two mini-pcs running some kind of Debian distro w/ a GUI desktop. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Disk Cloning Linux?

Good day,

I have a small problem and am wondering the best way to fix it. I have two mini-pcs running some kind of Debian distro w/ a GUI desktop. The hard drive failed on one of them. I have replaced the failed hard drive and now need to return the PC to operational. I think the best way to do this would be to clone the hard drive from the PC that is still operational. The hardware platforms on both machines are identical.

Here's my question: I've read that the easist way to clone a Linix box is by using the "dd" utility in combination with the "netcat" utility over a network. The problem is that how do I get a Linux distro on the target pc that has dd and netcat installed? Is there a Live CD distro out there that has these two utilities built in, or would I have to somehow make my own custom iso image with the utilities on it?

Can anyone steer me in the right direction on how to set this up and get it working?

Thanks in advance.

PartImage !!!! it creates a bootable image of working distro. you can install it in other machine having same configuration.

casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Casper,

Thanks for the reply. Will it work over a network on a box without an o/s installed?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I think Mondo can do this
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums