Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hello everyone! i recentlay install red hat linux 8.0 on my 40 gb harddrive on a logical partition. i made 3 partition / , /boot and swap. i installed lilo ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

Booting linux with win2k + 98

Hello everyone!

i recentlay install red hat linux 8.0 on my 40 gb harddrive on a logical partition. i made 3 partition / , /boot and swap.

i installed lilo on /boot partiton coz i think installng lilo or grub on mbr destroys my win2000 boot manager. i successfully complete the whole process and also made a bootable linux floppy.

what i had in mind is to have linux boot sector and copy it into dos partiton and add a line to start my linux from windows 2000 menu.

i did the exact procedure as stated in several how-tos on linux sites and added my linux option in windows 2k boot loader. when i rebooted and chose the linux option but nothing happened except a blank screen.

i also used bootpart to do the same thing but no success.

Now. i can boot my linux from the floppy disk i created but i wanted to ask you guys that what options i have to boot linux from my harddrive.?

if i install lilo or grub on mbr. will it solve my prob?
    i dont want to destroy my win2k installation so plz tell me any answer that have been tested ..

thanks in advance.

-braincode

Linux User
    i have over 50 machines that I have installed windows 2000 on and then installed LILO (and now GRUB) to teh MBR. It will not destroy your windows boot ability, in fact they will detect it and set it up. I like GRUB better - I have has LILO occasionally crap out on me and just boot as far as

LI
    majorwoo

Quiet brain, or I\'ll stab you with a Q-tip.

Linux User
    Thankz majorwoo for your help

i have installed windows2000+linux with grub on mbr on my friend's machine but linux was on another primary partition not on logical one.

in my case ..linux is on logical partition not on another primary one.
    so .. can you tell me if it works in this case too??

and one thing more..

can you or anybody tell me how to install grub on mbr from linux ?

--braincode

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Personally, I use LILO, so I can't tell you right now, but if you check "man grub" or "info grub", I'm pretty confident that you'll find it.

Linux Enthusiast
    grub-install /dev/hd(something) should do it. If that isn't installed than maybe run grub, and try "root (hd0,{somthing}) {newline}install"
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.

Linux User
    thank guys..

hey majorwoo
    can you confirm me abt logical partition thingy..??

--braincode

Logical partitions and GRUB works beautifully. Only primary I have on my other system is my Windows 98 FAT32 I boot from. The rest of the partitions are all logical. GRUB has built-in LBA32 support too, so no worries about 1024 cylinders or anything.

As for the installation of grub... ah darn. My info grub isn't working right now. But I got my install instructions straight from the info file. It has its own section.

Regards
    --Syk

Linux User
    Sykotik is right, logical partitions are fine with linux even if the /, swap, and /boot are all logical partitions (which annoys me -- linux should come first I say )
    majorwoo

Linux User
    sorry i took so long to answer, my modem went poof so i got fed up and ordered dig cable/cable modem combo - good deal.

Time Warner cable has so far been flawless...
    majorwoo

Just Joined!
    You're right, Linux should come first, but M$ is just being it's usual dumb self!!!

Tithefug

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast