Find the answer to your Linux question:
When I boot my computer, I am not seeing anything like "eth0 detected," or "bringing up interface eth0." But when I shut it down, I see a line saying "shutting ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

ether express pro setup

When I boot my computer, I am not seeing anything like "eth0 detected," or "bringing up interface eth0." But when I shut it down, I see a line saying "shutting down interface eth0." I checked /proc/ioports and the address I have my card set to is not there. If use the ifconfig I get something along the lines of "eth0 doesn't exist." So, I tried "insmod eepro" but that locks up my computer. I am fairly sure that it is not the card; I used softset2 to check the card, but I haven't had it working yet so I guess it's always a possibility. I have read the ethernet-HOWTO at TLDP, which was informative but not a lot of help. Any ideas?

Linux Engineer
    cat /proc/pci will show you what model the card is. Instead of using insmod, try modprobe eepro100 instead and see if that locks. Aslo check dmesg to see if there are any errors during boot.

Just Joined!
    it's a eepro 10+ which is a an ISA card. I'll have to try modprobe...

Just Joined!
    The "modprobe eepro" locks up my computer. "modprobe -l" shows a line that says "alias eth0 off".

I have looked at dmesg; the only error is that httpd failed to start because it couldn't find the hostname. Is there a verbose option for the dmesg file? I used 5.2 before this, and I think the dmesg file had a little more detail.

I would like to try setting the IO address to a different value. How do I know how many addresses my card needs? Right now it is set to 0x300 with the serial port at 0x2f8-0x2ff and ide0 at 0x376.

Just Joined!
    ***"modprobe -l" should be "modprobe -c"***

Linux Guru
    What does the serial port and ide have with this to do?
    The probable cause is that the port probe that the driver performs happens to trigger another piece of hardware, and so locks up your computer. To remedy that, you must know the IO base address of the card. Is this a plug-and-play ISA card, fixed address card or software configurable? Considering that it's 3com, I would guess that 3com has a downloadable DOS program that allows you to set the base address. To run a DOS program, you'll need either the DOS emulator working, or to put the program on a DOS boot floppy and run it from there.
    After knowing the IO base address, load the driver by running "modprobe eepro io=0x???" (where ??? is the obtained address).

Linux Enthusiast
    do you have isapnp installed? If so, try to run `pnpdump > /etc/isapnp.conf` then look through that and comment out the needed lines (it is kind of self explanatory, but there are manpages also). After that, try to run `isapnp /etc/isapnp.conf` and see if it says anything about an ethernet controller.
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.

Just Joined!
    Sorry, my last post wasn't written very clearly.

My understanding of IO addresses is that there is a base address followed by a number of other addresses. I was wondering if the addresses for my NIC (base address 0x300) overlapped the address for the IDE controller (0x376)? If they do, I would assume that this is why my computer is locking up.

This card is a pnp card, and it is also software configurable. I used the DOS program to setup the card with a base address of 0x300. This program is inconveinent to use, because it also locks my computer. To use it, I have to remove my NIC and put it in my Windows computer and then run the program on that computer.

The HOWTO's that I read suggested turning off the PNP option if possible, so that's what I did. I'll have to try switching it on and using pnpdump.

As a footnote, I just wanted to let everyone know that I appreciate their taking the time to post a reply.

Linux Guru
    I would also recommend turning PNP off. ISA PNP isn't really the most stable standard out there (hence the old nickname plug and pray). Therefore, before you resort to turning it on, try running "modprobe eepro io=0x300", and see if that works. Don't worry about it overlapping the IDE controller. It's probable using 0x300-0x307 or 0x300-0x30F. IO ports have another heritage, but in modern PCs, they are implemented by using, I think, memory addresses with the MSB set (or is that PPC archs?). Anyway, extremely few cards use more than 16 consecutive addresses; they seldomly use more than 8.
    However, since 3Com's setup program also locks up your computer, it's possible that you have something else at that address (that Linux hasn't initiated, and therefore cannot list its address), or that you motherboard is broken. Try to either plug the card into another ISA slot or change its base address to 0x330 or so.

Just Joined!
    Success! I ran modprobe like this: "modprobe eepro io=0x300".
    This is me --> I guess after you RTFM, you RTFM at least 2 more times to make sure you didn't miss anything. Thanks for the morale support!