Find the answer to your Linux question:
without losing my data. I have a 40 Gig drive with Windows 2000 and about 10 Gig of data I don't want to lose but no way to back it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Help removing Windows 2000 and installing Linux...

without losing my data.

I have a 40 Gig drive with Windows 2000 and about 10 Gig of data I don't want to lose but no way to back it up off of the drive.

Is there a way to completely remove windows, keep my data on the drive and install Linux?

thanks for the help.

Is the 10 GB of data you need to keep located on the same partition as the one that Win 2000 is on? If so, it would be difficult to do away completely with Windows and still keep your data. The best way to approach something like this is to install Linux on some free space you have on the drive (you'll have to have a separate partition for this) and then you can see your Windows data from your new Linux install. When you install Linux, it will set it up so that you can choose which OS to boot into (Windows or Linux) when you start the computer. And if you use Ubuntu, your Windows drive will be mounted automatically, meaning you won't have to do too much tinkering to access the files you need that are located there.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the info.

Yes, my data is on the same fat32 partition as Windows 2000. There is only about 400 MB of unused space on that drive.

I do have a second 5 GB drive I could connect. I wasnít sure if this would help since it isnít enough space to store all the data that I want to keep and I didnít think it was enough space for the full Linux install that I wanted to do.

I could install a version of Linux on this second 5G drive but would still like to get Windows completely off the first drive to free up the space it is using.

If I wanted to install only a part of Linux on the second 5 GB drive and other parts on the original 40GB drive, how would I best do that and not loose the data which it sounds like must stay in the original fat32 partition?

Quote Originally Posted by angelko
    Yes, my data is on the same fat32 partition as Windows 2000. There is only about 400 MB of unused space on that drive.
    Of course the ideal solution would be to make a backup somewhere else, but since you can't do that, there is another solution.

The easiest solution would be to make room on that drive (on the main partition) somehow, to clean it up a litlle, so can can make 10g of free space.

Then resize your main partition so you have 10g of free space (unpartitionned, unformated) at the end of the drive.

Then finaly make a new partition (say a FAT32 partition) out of that 10g (at the end of the drive) and put your important data on it.

With this you will have a partition at the end of the drive containing all your must-keep data, and you will be able to whipe out windows and install linux at the begining of the drive (making sure your don't touch this important 10g partition during installation).

For all those resizing and formating operations, you can use GParted LiveCD :
    http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!

Smile

Thanks that sound like it would work. I should be able to clean up 10 GB.

I will give this a try. Thanks.