Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am in the process of installing SUSE 10.1, Everything has gone somewhat okay thus far, but now I am stuck. The install process is asking for hostname and domain ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Domain name and install

I am in the process of installing SUSE 10.1, Everything has gone somewhat okay thus far, but now I am stuck.

The install process is asking for hostname and domain name. It also has a check box for change hostname via DHCP. Now I have a Win XP PC which is in a workgroup and I have a linksys router which acts as the DHCP server. Eventually I want to use samba to share files between the XP PC and the linux machine, but that is a future project although I would like not to make it more difficult by providing the wrong answers at this screen.

So my quesiton is what do I enter. I tried providing a name and no domain, since I don't know what my domain is, but the install process wouldnot let me continue.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Enter whatever you want there, you always can change it later.
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

Just Joined!
    Okay not I am really confused. Should I check the box about change hostname via DHCP instead of putting anything? Do you mean put anything for hostname and domain or just one or the other? Thanks.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Most installations I have done use the default localhost.localdomain
    I usually choose a hostname, but leave the default localdomain
    as domain name. If your DHCP server will set it for you, you should
    still get connectivity. The domain name would be passed down from
    your ISP.