Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey all, I'm trying to format a drive with reiserfs but i am running into some problems. The drive is /dev/sdb what the correct procedure for formatting the drive and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question problem using resierFS partition

Hey all,

I'm trying to format a drive with reiserfs but i am running into some problems.

The drive is /dev/sdb

what the correct procedure for formatting the drive and mounting it?

I did something like:

fdisk to delete existing partitions and then to create a single new partition

mkreiserfs /dev/sdb1

this seemed to work. and mounting it seemed to work too. I tried copying a file and that seemed to work. but then i tried to do an ls on that directory and thats when i ran into trouble. The system started slowing down, and eventually i got an input/output error. The HD activity light stayed on the whole time and eventually i had to hit the reset switch since even trying to do a shutdown -r wouldnt work as the system kept giving me IO errors on sdb

I then tried deleting the partitions and forcing it to format the whole drive (sdb instead of sdb1) at which point i dont know if its working or not because it just seems to be locking up (or vastly slowing down) the whole system.

if anyone can give me a walk through on how to format a drive/partition using reiserfs i'd VERY much appreciate it.

thanks

The way you did it should be working (fdisk/cfdisk + mkreiserfs + mount).

But the easiest way to do it would be to use GParted LiveCD :
    http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!
    i already did fdisk, mkreiserfs and mount... and thats where the problem comes in. All of that seems to work but when ever it try to read anything off the partition the system just hangs with input/output errors.

i dont understand how the livecd would help in this situation. Can you please explain? I need to boot the system, with that partition formatted and ready to be written to. I'm not sure i see how a livecd would help in that.

thanks

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by merk
    i already did fdisk, mkreiserfs and mount... and thats where the problem comes in. All of that seems to work but when ever it try to read anything off the partition the system just hangs with input/output errors.
    Then the partition is somehow corrupted.

Quote Originally Posted by merk
    i dont understand how the livecd would help in this situation. Can you please explain? I need to boot the system, with that partition formatted and ready to be written to. I'm not sure i see how a livecd would help in that.
    GParted is an all-in-one solution, which does the same as fdisk + mkreiserfs (or fdisk + mkxfs, etc.). Using a LiveCD is often the ideal solution, as it makes it easier to work on the totality of the drive (having all the tools on the CD) :
    http://gparted.sourceforge.net/screenshots.php
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!
    ahh ok.... now i understand. Thanks... i will give that a try.

Just Joined!
    well i go it working using gparted. I think maybe the error was a lack of a disk label? Because when i used gparted it initially reported an error that there was no disk label and asked me if i wanted it to set one. Afterwards i rebooted and then i couldnt mount the partition. It complained about the file system not being right.

So i ran mkresierfs from within the system (not using gparted) and that finally fixed it. does gparted not automatically format the partition when you use it to create a partition?

anyhow its working now.

Now i have to try it again using XFS and JFS ... so expect another post from me later today when that doesnt work

thanks again for the help