Find the answer to your Linux question:
Newbie here, so bear with me...I have a T42 Thinkpad running Redhat 7.3 (release 2.4.20-28.7). Due to a "special" application, the version of Linux must remain the same. Grub is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Adding XP to Redhat on Thinkpad

Newbie here, so bear with me...I have a T42 Thinkpad running Redhat 7.3 (release 2.4.20-28.7). Due to a "special" application, the version of Linux must remain the same. Grub is also installed so that I can boot with either a dual hard drive system (one in the bay) or a single hard drive system (with a CD drive in the bay). Grub says it is at V0.91.

I want to make this laptop a dual boot machine by adding Windows XP SP2. I've seen a lot of information that says what to do if XP is on the machine and Linux will be added. However, I need to add XP to a machine that already has Linux (and Grub) running on it. All the searches I've done recommend deleting Linux, installing XP, and reinstalling Linux. However, for several reasons (mainly due to the "special" application), this is not an option. I must work around what is already on the machine and not do anything harmful to it.

Even though I have two hard drives (most of the time), I would rather have both OS's installed on the same (primary) drive.

Thanks,
    Ira

Linux Enthusiast
    Yes, it is easy to resize (shrink) NTFS and install Linux in the free space. Windows normally boots well after being resized while Linux does not. If you have some special application on existing Linux that you do not want to loose, then my suggestion -- do not touch that Linux.
    I would just install Windows on another drive.

its possible to install Windows after Linux. But its a bit tricky... check this thread.

casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First