Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am a complete noob at this stuff and I need some help. I got as far as running the OS but it keeps freezen. I read something somewhere about ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Swap File Recommendation

I am a complete noob at this stuff and I need some help. I got as far as running the OS but it keeps freezen. I read something somewhere about swap file and your memory on your computer. So how big should I make my swap file?

AMD Athlon XP 2000
    512 DDR
    10GB Drive

Hyas,

I'm running Fedora Core 1 and I have 1GB of memory.
    I had a swapfile of 512MB but the system keept freezing up.
    After I created a swapfile slightly larger then 1.1GB it ran perfectly.
    So I would recommend a 512MB swap to 1GB swap.
    ---[ MS09-99896 - Vulnerability in All MS Windows OS ; Using Windows Could Allow Remote Code Execution. ]---
    Hardware: Asus P4P800, 1GB, P4-3Ghz, Asus V9950, Maxtor ATA HD\'s, 3Com GBit lan, Audigy ZS Plat.

Sounds like a good idea. I will give it a try.

Would making it bigger than 1GB be bad?

there is a recommendations that you make your swap partition twice the size of the amount of ram you have so if you have 512 put your swap at 1 gig. and if 256 then 512. so i recommend trying that
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

It worked. hehe Now to have some fun.

Linux Newbie
    For fun: www.planetquake.com get the latest patch for q3 and then install that, and then go to your quake3 cd and copy over the pak files into the baseq3 directory and then you should vs me in q3 LINUXSTYLEs
    /skythra

flw
    Linux Engineer
    Rules of thumb for size are only generic guidlines. It really depends on what the machine is doing and how the apps your using were coded to used memory via the kernel.

So the old school rule I've always worked with is 1.5 swap for 1.0 gig RAM ratio, but bigger will always work as well. Which brings up a second question, can making it way bigger than what you need bad. Yes, your machine will spend more time looking for data in your swap file due directly to its size. Also the smaller the swap file the more data is forced into RAM which can be searched much faster. The downside is stability. Each user needs to find the right size for they way they use the machine most of the time.

If mine crashes once in a while its no big deal, I'll take the bit of speed I get. But for a business server of any type, I'd take no chances ever, uptime is everything on a server, speed is second. i.e. how fast is a downed server
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Linux Newbie
    I have a 512MB machine and hardest I ever push it is playing Americas Army. Usually I never use more then 300MB swap...and even thats after a few days of uptime and pushin it with Xmms, games, openoffice.org, Gaim, and mozilla.

The swap now is set to 1GB. Would it be wise to turn it down to say...768 or even 512MB?
    If you love something, emerge it

flw
    Linux Engineer
    If you want to see if you can turn it down safely, you need to due it slowly. Like if your at 1 gig now try droping 128megs at a time. Run for week so all app have been run including late night heavy gaming. IF all is well drop it another 128 megs. You'll continue this until you start to expereince new problems when all was well before. Then you found your ciritical point for the way you use your machine. Jack it up by 128 megs, this should have been your last stable setting.

The waiting for a week of normal usage is very important so you get real results from the tests and working backwards. Otherwise you could guess too low, still crash, set higher and still crash etc.... and never know what reduce sizes really work for the way you use your computer.

The upside is forcing more data into RAM which is faster to access (more snappy computer) than a "new" but still slower method of data storage (not snappy computer).
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"