Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey, for some reason when i try booting off the mandrake 10.0 cd to install it, when the boot comes up it says "Booting off cd: Failed" Now... ive downloaded ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Install: Mandrake 10.0

Hey, for some reason when i try booting off the mandrake 10.0 cd to install it, when the boot comes up it says "Booting off cd: Failed"

Now... ive downloaded the ISO's from three different sources, and the md5sum is all checking out fine. I right click tell k3b to write the image to disk and it does without error...

Ive tried using nero, and finally, i have gone through 21 cd's to make sure that it isnt anything like the iso's the burning software or anything else... it simply wont boot. yes the PCbios is set to CDrom, A, C: boot order.

Now i just want to know if i can install it a different way. Im running mandrake 9.1, but its a little old, and i have a few problems with it that im hoping that perhaps have been addressed with mandrake 10.

With the Installation HTML file that gets put onto the ISO on the CD it explains this:
    Under Linux (or other modern UNIX systems) type at prompt:
    $ dd if=xxxxx.img of=/dev/fd0
    That command doesnt seem to work giving the error
    Code:
    [root@localhost /]# $ dd if=xxxxx.img of=/dev/fd0
    bash: $: command not found
    Im not sure if im using it correctly...

Any help is appreciated thanks.
    /skythra

Just Joined!
    just remove the $ sign and replace the xxxx with the name if the image

Linux Newbie
    okay so basically i just refer it to the image on the HDD?

or wait, i point it to the image, and it will start the install, and THEN i can use the CD's! that makes sense to me

(im slowly getting there, i just wasnt sure what things did, and im allways logged in as root, so i didnt want to do too much and lose everything before i was backed up!)

Thanks!
    /skythra

the $ was put into the command to show what it would look like if you entered the command as a "normal" user (ie. not root), as that is the standard command prompt.

In the command the "if" means In File (as in input file or source file) and the "of" means Output File (or destination file). And the "/dev/fd0" is the Linux name for your Floppy Disk drive.

So, all being well, you'll end up with a floppy disk with a bootable Linux file on it, that if you try to look at (by doing a ls or somesuch) will be totally unreadable (that's the way it should be).

have fun

Nerderello

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS

I installed Mandrake 10 on my computer. Yes I had a boot from CD problem too. But, all I did was make a bootable floppy for my cd rom drive. It was able to install it from there.

Linux Newbie
    i dont have a floppy drive
    /skythra

Linux Newbie
    Code:
    [root@localhost Mandrake 10.0]# dd if=Mandrakelinux-10.0-Community-Download-CD1.i586.iso of=/dev/fd0
    dd: opening `/dev/fd0': No such device or address
    huh? whats the 'of' statement mean anyhow?
    /skythra

Just Joined!
    All I did was boot from CD #2 of the set and went from there. When it asked for CD #1, I just switched discs. Everything worked find for me after that.