Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok ... i will go ahead w/ my question ... i am attempting to install RH 8.0 .... i am currently running windows xp ... i want to go to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing from a HD.

Ok ... i will go ahead w/ my question ... i am attempting to install RH 8.0 .... i am currently running windows xp ... i want to go to linux ... now i used partitionmagic to create a 2 gig partition ... using FAT .... then downloaded linux .... then copied the .iso files to it(the fat partition) ... obviously i am installing from a HD ... so then i created the floppy disk using rawrite .... rebooted my system ... got all the way to the point to telling linux which partition to use ... and I dont know how to reference the FAT partition containing the .ISO files .... please can someone help a newbie? So Basically it's all i need to know is how do i reference the FAT partition containing the .iso files ?

Linux Guru
    To put it bluntly, they are referred as either "/dev/hd<id><num>", or just "hd<id><num>". I don't know which one the RedHat installer wants. <id> identifies the position of the hard drive on your IDE bus. a is the primary master, b is the primary slave, c the secondary master and so on. <num> is a number identifying the partition number. The four primary partitions of a drive are referred to as 1-4, and extended ones are 5+, regardless of whether you have used up all your primary partitions.

If you want a more a more in-depth explanation, I will provide that, too. If you're new to Linux, it will be a good thing to read, anyway. In Winbloze, there are several file trees, each beginning with a drive specification. Directory components are seperated with backslashes. Like C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\COMMAND.COM (C: is the drive specification, two directories are seperated with backslashes and then comes the file name). Finally, every file name refers to just a file or a directory, nothing less and nothing more.
    In Linux, and other UNIX systems, there is only one file tree, and pathnames components are seperated with slashes, as in /etc/X11/XF86Config (or, as you might have noticed, /dev/hda1). One important difference with FAT is also, that a filename is only _one_ reference to a file, as opposed to FAT, where a filename is _the_ reference to a file, which means that in UNIX, a file may have more than one name. A file may also be a regular file, a directory, a named FIFO, a socket, symbolic link or a device. Too much? Most of it you don't really have to care about.
    Anyway, /dev/hda1 obviously refers to a file named hda1 in the directory dev, which is located in the root directory. This hda1 file isn't a normal file, but it refers to the first partition on your primary master IDE drive. (It's a device file) Other common files in the /dev directory are /dev/dsp, which is the sound output file for your sound card or /dev/ttyS0, which refers to COM1.
    You may be asking yourself, "If there's no A: or D:, how do I access my floppy or CD-ROM?". The answer is that, in UNIX, you will have to "mount" the filesystem on your floppy disk or CD somewhere else in the file tree. Common places (and also the ones that RedHat uses) are in the /mnt directory. For example, you can mount your CD (which is commonly referred to as /dev/cdrom; the floppy is /dev/fd0) on /mnt/cdrom, so that if there is a file called "readme" in the root directory of the CD, it can be referred to as /mnt/cdrom/readme. Usually, a program will automatically mount your CD for you when you insert it. In the same way you can access a FAT or NTFS partition (note that NTFS is read-only).

You might not have followed... I'm not really a good teacher.