Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am considering getting Linux again on my second hdd. I have a SATA II hdd with Windows XP and an IDE hdd which will be for Linux. What I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Dual booting FC6 with Windows XP

I am considering getting Linux again on my second hdd.

I have a SATA II hdd with Windows XP and an IDE hdd which will be for Linux. What I wanted to know was how Linux would recognise the SATA drive during installation. In the past I have found that Linux doesn't mind being installed on a lesser hdd (ie 'hdb'), but it always seems to want it's MBR on 'hda'. If at all possible I would like to keep the Windows XP MBR intact on the SATA drive without GRUB being slapped on top of it.

Does Linux treat SATA drives differently to IDE drives as it does with SCSI drives?

Does Linux treat SATA drives differently to IDE drives as it does with SCSI drives?
    Some SATA chipsets have been supported since practically forever, as their programming interfaces are unchanged from PATA predecessors. Others are brand-new and require new drivers from scratch.
    try installing Linux on SATA disk. it might work.
    If at all possible I would like to keep the Windows XP MBR intact on the SATA drive without GRUB being slapped on top of it.
    unplug windows disk while installing Linux. you can add an entry of windows in GRUB of Linux disk later on. setting up dual boot is easy. check this thread.

casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First