Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am dual booting between WIN2000 and Red Hat 7.2. I want to partion my drive that I have WIN2000 then Linux then a partion to store data that can ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Data Access

I am dual booting between WIN2000 and Red Hat 7.2. I want to partion my drive that I have WIN2000 then Linux then a partion to store data that can be accessed from both OS. Does someone know what would be best: to create and format the partion from windows and format it with FAT32 or to create the partion from LInux and what should it be formatted with?
    Thanks

Linux User
    easiest way to do this is install windows2k and in the install you can remove all partitions and create your own.

Make like a 7GB chunk for windows, then install linux let GRUB dualboot for you (it will ask you to install a boot loader and it will detect windows, but call it DOS)

make a 100MB /boot partition
    a swap partition of 2x yoour RAM in MB
    a / of 5-7GB or whatever you want

and make a partiton of whats left as FAT32 for both windows and linux (if you want to) - you may need to do it from windows as i believ evfat cant make partitions over 2GB or so
    majorwoo

Quiet brain, or I\'ll stab you with a Q-tip.

Just Joined!

data access

I have a similer question. I just installed linux on my machine and removed windows all together but saved a lot of my files on an external usb drive with a fat32 partition and a NTFS partition. Now I can't view either of them. any help would be appreciated.

thanks

Just Joined!

data access

Never mind I think I found it.

thanks

Linux User
    I dont think linux mounts NTFS to well yet, but you can mount fat with vfat which is only alpha but I have not had any problems with:

/dev/hda1 /c vfat defaults,gid=500,umask=002 1 2

which mounts my windows C drive giving ownership to group 500 so members of 500 can write to it ( and not just root)

you could modify the /dev/hda1 to whatever you are trying to mount
    majorwoo

Quiet brain, or I\'ll stab you with a Q-tip.

Just Joined!

data access

I was able to make the directory mnt/usbhd1 however when I try to mount the drive I type:]mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/usbdh1

this returns
    mount: wrong fs type, bad option, band superblock on /dev/sda, or too many mounted flie systems

I opened my modules file and it reads
    usb-storage 62000 0
    usb-uhci 26188 0 (unused)
    usbcore 77056 1 [usb-storage hid usb-uhci]

Now I know that the ntfs partition will not work because I have not yet installed the ntsf module but the fat32 partition should have mounted.
    I am running the 2.4.18-14 kernal
    also in my /proc/bus/usb directory the hard drive is listed in the devices file.

ok did a little more digging at linux-usb.org and they say that the usb hard drive is listed as a scsi device. so I looked in /proc/scsi/ and sure enough the drive is listed in there on scsi0. so then I tried to mount -t vfat /dev/scsi0 /mnt/usbhd1 and it returns a "special device /dev/scsi0 does not exist."

thanks in advance