Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
OKay, so this weekend I have had to re-install my entire MS system, thanks to the introduction of a AMD XP 1800 processor, oh well.... I am running GNOME. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

What a weekend

OKay, so this weekend I have had to re-install my entire MS system, thanks to the introduction of a AMD XP 1800 processor, oh well....

I am running GNOME. I didnt actually know and had to go and check at the redhat site

I am slowly beginning to understand what I am doing but have such a long way to go...

My windows partitions are not alredy in /etc/fstab.

The way I have the system set up is four partitions:

c:\ Windows 98 (FAT32 10G)
    d:\ Windows XP (FAT32 15G)
    e:\ Blank for storage (FAT32 3G)
    Then Linux on another 10G.

I used FAT32 as in the installation guide it tells you that linux can read FAT32 but not NFTS and I read somewhere that that is why MS try to get you to install XP as and NFTS drive.

My modem is an ADSL modem called a BT Voyager (its made by Globespan Inc), I cant get Cable where I live

Linux Guru
    Actually, Linux can read both FAT and NTFS, but it can't write to NTFS partitions. Although I would like that to be Microsoft's reason (then I could hate them even more), it's really because NTFS is better than FAT.
    Did you ever check what fdisk returned?

Just Joined!
    Yes I saw what it said but I will have to re do it and save it to show you as I have had to spend the past two days reinstalling everything, windows, linux everything....

I will redo it and post it for you later tonight

Thanks for all the help...

Catherine

Linux Enthusiast
    Okay, if this is your only hard drive in the computer then the layout looks like this:
    /dev/hda1 = C:
    /dev/hda2 = D:
    /dev/hda3 = E:
    /dev/hda4 = Logical Drive which includes
    /dev/hda5 = linux root partition
    /dev/hdax = other linux partitions

This is the most probable layout, and if /dev/hda5 is in your /etc/fstab file then I am correct in my assumption. To make it so you can mount your windows drives do this:
    Code:
    mkdir /mnt/windows_c
    mkdir /mnt/windows_d
    mkdir /mnt/windows_e
    echo "/dev/hda1 /mnt/windows_c vfat auto 0 0" >> /etc/fstab
    echo "/dev/hda2 /mnt/windows_d vfat auto 0 0" >> /etc/fstab
    echo "/dev/hda3 /mnt/windows_e vfat auto 0 0" >> /etc/fstab
    should mount all three of your windows drives on bootup. You don't need to reboot to get them mounted though. After you have done the above step just run:
    Code:
    /sbin/mount /mnt/windows_c
    /sbin/mount /mnt/windows_d
    /sbin/mount /mnt/windows_e
    as root (you become root by using `su` as I think was stated earlier in the thread).

As for your ADSL check this out: http://www.thecaretaker.org.uk/drive...yagerlinux.htm
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.

Just Joined!
    I have got the mounting sorted now, the problem was that my set up is like this for some reason:

Code:
    /dev/hda1  -  Win98
    /dev/hda5 - WinXp
    /dev/hda6 - Drive for swapping files
    /dev/hda7 + 8 - Linux
    I am not entirely certain why that is but it is working now.

I used this code to get it mounted

Code:
     mount -t vfat /dev/hda6 /mnt/storage -o rw
    It is easy enough to mount fresh each time I log in (I am usually on Linux for several hours at a stretch)

Although I will give yours a try Wassey, thanks for putting it up in such plain language.

I got some tutorials and articles off http://www.linux-mag.com It is american, do you know of any good mags that you can get in the UK? I bought Linux Magazine but it was a bit too advanced, there was no newbie section in it....

I found the Caretakers tutorial with the help of google and now I know what I am doing more I am going to try installing it. I will post my results when I get it going properly.

Thanks for all your help

Catherine

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2