Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I know this is probably a really stupid questions but... I am running Redhat 8.0 and I am trying to install my adsl modem and find my other drives (I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Help really needed,

I know this is probably a really stupid questions but...

I am running Redhat 8.0 and I am trying to install my adsl modem and find my other drives (I am running a triple boot with Win98 and XP), However I dont know where to type the commands that I have been given.

I found command line (under utilities on the panel), but when I typed in the commands I was given (fdisk -1 /dev/hda etc) nothing appeared...

Someone please tell me what I did wrong

Catherine[/i]

Linux Guru
    It seems to me that you've found the right thing. I don't know yet what's wrong. Could you describe exactly what you see when you open this "command line" thingie?

By the way, are you a girl for real? You don't see a girl who's into Linux too often, so it would be fun to know.

By the way #2, it shouldn't be fdisk -1 /dev/hda, but fdisk -l /dev/hda. (l as in list)

Just Joined!
    not only am i really a girl, im a real girl too...

the command line is like a text box on the panel (as in Taskbar on the start menu).

it has two buttons underneath, one oopens the history and the other a browser (where I can access my folder etc)

I will try again with the command line you have given me, its just a pain as I have to reboot everytime until I get my internet on Linux.

I am trying it as I hate windows and fancy a challange, I am probably the worst person to use it as I am impatient and hate programming languages, my patience stretched as far as html....

thanks very much for the help, its desperately needed.

Linux Guru
    From what I understand, that's a panel applet. It is only for running commands, ie. it cannot display the output of them. You'll need to start a terminal emulator. If you're running GNOME, you'll find it in the Applications menu under System Tools. It's just called "Terminal". If you're running KDE, I cannot tell you exactly where to find it, since I'm running GNOME right now (and since I don't use the menus I don't remember where it is), but it will be called Konsole.
    You'll now that you got the right thing if you get a window display one line of text reading something like "[username@hostname username]$", where username is the username you chose for yourself and hostname is the hostname that you entered during installation. Then, just enter the command and it will return something.
    About that internet problem of yours, how are you connected to the internet (modem, xDSL, etc.)?

Anyway, it's nice to have a girl here. The Linux world, if any, is truly one of manly dominance. It's also nice to hear that you hate Windows. =)

Just Joined!
    I found the terminal thank you very much, but the command doesnt seem to work, it says it doesnt recognise fdisk...

what I was trying to do (I was told in another forum) was find by windows drives so I could share files and also downloads etc.

I have an adsl modem (BT VOyager made by globespan)

I found instructions here http://www.thecaretaker.org.uk/drive...yagerlinux.htm

But I dont understand them Maybe I should go back to windows, this is so hard....

Linux Guru
    You could also ask for help here.
    The reason that fdisk doesn't work is that you aren't logged in as root (the superuser). Run the command "su -" first, type in the root password you chose during installation, and then fdisk -l /dev/hda will work. I'm sorry that I forgot to mention that. You can post the output that the command gives you here, and I (or someone else) willl help you further.

Just Joined!
    Thanks very much, I never got told that...

This whole linux business is making me feel really stupid

I am quite a confident user of windows and it is strange being a complete novice for the first time in about 7 years (since I got my first PC with win95)

I am going to try it now then at least I will be able to access my files

Linux Enthusiast
    Okay, let's start slowly here, that fdisk command will just list the partitions on your machine. After that, you can see if they are already in your /etc/fstab (they might be). To see if your windows drives are already mounted try to run: "grep vfat /etc/fstab" and see if it sees one or more of your windows drives. It should definately see your Windows 98 and it might see your XP drive, depending on whether you used NTFS or Fat32 to format it. In all possibility they might be mounted already, look under /mnt/ to see if you have anything that might be of importance. You can look in /mnt with
    Code:
    ls /mnt
    typed at the command line (the konsole as Dolda mentioned earlier). Or you could always try to navigate to it using Konqueror. After you find the stuff in there then you can work on your networking. RedHat should have autodetected that ADSL modem on startup, so you might just need to connect. Try opening the program kppp, I think it can be used for the ADSL modem as well, though I am not sure, I use cable internet. Josh, any GUI program for DSL setup?
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.

Linux Guru
    I think that before we move on with GUI help, let's make sure if you are running GNOME or KDE? I would be guessing GNOME, since you mentioned that "Command Line" applet, which looked very much like the one that is in GNOME.
    If you're not sure whether it's GNOME or KDE that you're running, just log out and log in again, and you will see it on the splash screen (the small window in the middle of the screen that shows you what is loading before you are fully logged in).

Linux Enthusiast
    they have that applet in KDE too, with the little browser button underneath like she mentioned, I think it is KDE myself
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast