Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
I have an IBM PC with Windows XP Professional. I have installed Fedora Core 4. But after finalising the installation process, it boots up with Windows XP only. I dont ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installation: Linux not Booting UP

I have an IBM PC with Windows XP Professional. I have installed Fedora Core 4. But after finalising the installation process, it boots up with Windows XP only. I dont get any Boot Menu for selecting either Windows or Linux. What is the way out?

An early reply is highly appreciated.

ThanX,

Sudhir
    sudhir.tvm@gmail.com

where did you install Boot Loader ( GRUB ) during FC installation?
    boot up from FC CD/DVD and type this code at boot: prompt

Code:
    linux rescue
    chroot /mnt/sysimage
    grub-install /dev/hda
    press Ctrl+D two times.

casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!

ThanX

Hi..

ThanX a lot for the reply.

Sudhir

Just Joined!

Blocking Webiste in Firefox or Mozilla..

Hi..

Thanx for the reply for my previous problem regarding Installtion and booting.

This is to clear how to configure Linux/ web browsers to block some particular sites. Normally it is found difficult to configure Firefox...Only popup or images can be blocked.
    Pls advise me to configure Linux/ web browsers so that it strictly not allow some particular sites some specified sites.

Sudhir
    sudhir.tvm@gmail.com

Just Joined!

Linux Magazine..

Kindly inform me is there any FREE Linux Magazine to subscribe to? If so pls let me know the details, please.

Also tell me the differences between REDHAT, FEDORA & SUSE linux releases.

Sudhir

Just Joined!
    the partition where you installed the boot loader must be set active...........make sure the partition is active.....

Quote Originally Posted by Juliusn
    the partition where you installed the boot loader must be set active
    location of Boot Loader is Master Boot Record. it doesn't matter if partition is active or not.

casper

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by devils_casper
    location of Boot Loader is Master Boot Record. it doesn't matter if partition is active or not.

casper
    this is the reason things are not working. you must clear the MBR...cant remember what the fdisk -mbr equiv for linux is. rather install the boot loader in /boot partition (+-100Mb) and make active. MBR is a sticky thing when always changing ur os. this will make thing easier

Just Joined!
    I have Redhat and Suse on my system. if you want DVDs, music, lots of really nice desktop apps(KDE) and the bells whistles of easy hardware configuring. Suse is the way. If you the system admin type-- love ur command and running things like Apache, Myaql,Cgi apps, RedHat is the way...but I would go Suse...cant comment on FC...still trying it out...but FC also sounds like its on par wit Suse 10.1

Quote Originally Posted by Juliusn
    rather install the boot loader in /boot partition (+-100Mb) and make active. MBR is a sticky thing when always changing ur os. this will make thing easier
    Nope ! i dont agree. in a multiple distro machine, installing Boot loader in /boot partition will create problems. MBR is *best* place for boot loader. i am using GRUB as boot loader and its very easy to tweak/handle it.

casper

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast