Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I have a post in the debian newsgroups section too, but you guys have been more helpful in the past, so I humbly ask for assistance again. My NIC card: ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Motor is running, but not off the ground

I have a post in the debian newsgroups section too, but you guys have been more helpful in the past, so I humbly ask for assistance again.

My NIC card:

U.S. Robotics 10/100 PCI NIC TX

Model # is USR7900

Just installed Debian 3.0r Woody, and cannot get the NIC to work. It does not show up on the driver list that I can install from the install disks, and modprobe tulip didn't do squat.

It worked fine under SuSE 8.2 so I figured this wouldn't be a problem. I think it is a driver issue (actually a LACK of a driver), but I cannot seem to find a driver for this. There must be one for linux, since SuSE ran it without a hiccup.

When I run ifconfig, it just shows up lo (which I hate to admit ignorance, but I am not sure what lo is ... I am used to the network interfaces as eth0, eth1 etc).

Any ideas where I might be able to find a driver, or any other way to get the NIC working? Hate to buy a new one, as this one works fine otherwise. Thanks in advance.

Just Joined!
    Okay, with the help of tulip and DHCM (finally figured out what all the hubbub was after reading some old, old posts), I was able to get the NIC up and running, access the internet, and also test the firewall.

I swear, I have RTFM -- I have 3 thick books, and I am still learning tons. Please be patient.

My next question --

When I reboot, my modprobe tulip command and DHCP are not part of the boot sequence. How do I get this as part of routine boot up? The only way I can rephrase my question is to use old DOS terminology, sorry:

What I am looking for is the equivalent of adding to the autoexec.bat or config.sys file, so that modprobe tulip and dhcpconf are loaded at startup. Also, should I place these to start before the firewall starts or after?

Thanks for your patience. I will forever be a Linux newbie, I think

Mike

Start up "modconf", go to the "net" section and find you module (for you NIC).

If you also want to edit more stuff, you can use the /etc/network/interfaces file.

Good luck

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    edit /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.4

and add each module name on its own line at the end of the file

Just Joined!
    modconf: Doesn't have my NIC driver per se. I have gathered that tulip is kind of a 'catch all' driver for many types of NIC.

I was able to get the line modprobe tulip in the modules file, so at boot Ithe kernel is recognizing my card, but I cannot seem to get dhclient running before I boot and hit the desktop.

Is there a place to slide in a command to run dhclient? I am 50% to getting this working beautifully.

Next: getting drivers for sound and video working. Deep breath. Maybe next week.

Mike

Linux Newbie
    In debian you can add the module name to the /etc/modules file to load at boot.

To start the dhclient run rcconf and choose to start this service at boot.
    \"One World, One Web, One Program.\" -- Advertisement for Internet Explorer.
    \"Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Fuehrer.\" -- Adolf Hitler.

Just Joined!
    I still ain't got it, but one cool thing is this: I didn't have rcconf to start with, so I thought, hey what the hell, ran apt-get install rcconf and damned if I ain't got it now, almost like magic...I so far dig Debian, but of course I am hitting some bumps.

rcconf doesnt NOT show dhclient in its setup options.

Any more ideas? Please keep 'em coming.

Linux Newbie
    It actually isn't a service in that sense, from what I can see... so disregard my last post.

Can you post a copy of your /etc/network/interfaces file please.

It may give some clue.

Just Joined!
    Here you are:

Code:
    # /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)

# The loopback interface
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback
    I hate to admit it, but although I have been using Linux for a while, none of the above means anything to me.

....should I slap a line that says dhclient in there??

Linux Newbie
    Here's your problem, you need to add this to the /etc/network/interfaces file (assuming the connection is eth0):

auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet dhcp
    name eth0
    auto eth0 will bring the eth0 (etehrnet connection 0) up at boot.

iface eth0 inet dhcp tells it to use dhcp

name eth0 isn't really needed, you can name it whatever you like, but leave it at eth0 to begin with.

for the interfaces man page:

#man interfaces

This is a good man page, have a look.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast