Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello everyone. I read quite a few tutorials and posts about installing and booting Linux, but I am still having problems. I made an attempt to download and burn Ubuntu ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    mew
    Just Joined!

Help burning/installing Ubuntu

Hello everyone. I read quite a few tutorials and posts about installing and booting Linux, but I am still having problems. I made an attempt to download and burn Ubuntu to a cd so that I can install it on another computer that I am getting. I went to Ubuntu's website and downloaded version 6.10 from this page:

http://www.ubuntu.com/products/GetUb...currentrelease

It took about 1.5 hours for it to finish downloading. Prior to this, I attempted to download CDBurnerXP, to no avail. For some reason, I can't find it on my computer anywhere; no desktop item appeared, and I've looked through all my system files, drives, etc. and it's just not there. However, I do have Sonic DigitalMedia LE v7, so hopefully that will be just as good for what I'm wanting to do.

So after Ubuntu finished, again, nothing appeared on my desktop; instead there were 2 files saved under My Music folder, one was titled Shortcut to Ubuntu-6.10-desktop-i386.iso and the other, which is a zip file, is titled Shortcut to cdbxp_setup_3.0.116.

From here, I am pretty much lost. By no means am I a computer guru, and I don't know which file I am supposed to burn to the cd. I don't even know if these are the correct files.

Please let me know what I should do, or if I am doing something wrong, how to correct it so that I can burn this cd.

Thanks very much.

Jimmy

Run this in a DOS prompt -
    Code:
    cd %userprofile%\My Documents
    dir *ubuntu*
    and post the results back. If you have WinRar installed the file may appear to be an archive, but it is a disk image. Some archiving tools can be used to open these images so they are associated with them.

mew
    Just Joined!
    It says "Too many parameters - Documents"

Sorry if I am doing this wrong. Like I said, I don't know that much about computers.

Maybe I should just buy a package that already has the distro on the disk for me. I'm ready to pull my hair out over this.

How you downloaded Ubuntu .iso image? which software did you use?

casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

mew
    Just Joined!
    The file that's named Shortcut to Ubuntu-6.10-desktop-i386.iso may be the image. However, whenever I try to open it, I get a message that says "Windows cannot open this file", then it goes on to say that it needs to know what program created it. It then gives me a choice to either open the program with the Web, or choose a program from a given list. I clicked on "open with Web" and it brings up an internet page saying:

Windows has the following information about this file type. This page will help you find software needed to open your file.

File Type: CD-ROM Image

File Extension: .iso

Description: This file is a CD-ROM image.

Software or information available at:
    Gilles Vollant Software WinImage
    GoldenHawk CDROM Recording Software
    IsoBuster
    Padus DiscJuggler

This made me assume this is the file that I needed to put on the cd. So, I burned it to a blank CD-R, and when I put the cd in, it just brings up a page with the shortcut to the document. When I go to that, it takes me back to the internet page with the above text.

Shorcut is just a Pointer of a file saved somewhere else.
    right click on shortcut icon and select 'properties'. check path of 'Target' text box. navigate to that path. thats the original file. Burn it.

casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

mew
    Just Joined!
    Talk about feeling like a noob

I burned the original file to a CD-R, but I'm getting ready to leave. I'll try it first thing when I get home tomorrow.

Thanks very much for your help!

Jimmy