Find the answer to your Linux question:
This has probably been posted before...apologies if it has, but I couldn't find it. Im going insane here....im trying to run (not install) linux on my friends computer, and i've ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Caldera DR-DOS ?? :-s

This has probably been posted before...apologies if it has, but I couldn't find it.

Im going insane here....im trying to run (not install) linux on my friends computer, and i've burned the image onto disk (with nero) but the finished disk wont run unless i specifically tell nero that it's a bootable image disk. problem is, when i run it, it loads something called caldera dr-dos and leaves me with an a:/> prompt. question is, what on Earth do i do from there?! i just wanna run linux!!
    thanks in advance for your help

Quote Originally Posted by way2fonky
    This has probably been posted before...apologies if it has, but I couldn't find it.

Im going insane here....im trying to run (not install) linux on my friends computer, and i've burned the image onto disk (with nero) but the finished disk wont run unless i specifically tell nero that it's a bootable image disk. problem is, when i run it, it loads something called caldera dr-dos and leaves me with an a:/> prompt. question is, what on Earth do i do from there?! i just wanna run linux!!
    thanks in advance for your help
    What distribution of Linux did you download? The last time I heard about Caldera DR-DOS was when I used to use Partition Magic off a floppy disk... circa 1998. Burning an ISO file will only work correctly if you burn it as an image; that much you are correct about.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Kubuntu 6.1

Im guessing its Nero thats putting this prompt on there rather than the image itself, my friend who gave it to me installed it himself (from online, not cd) and never heard of this happening.....I just don't know how to get past it! When I type "dir" the only executable is WWBMU or something, which is a boot partitioner and it's all in German. Googling it gives me the impression I should avoid it!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Whenever you burn a disk in Nero, and choose to make it bootable,
    it puts DR-DOS in it. This is not the way to make a linux install disk.
    Somewhere in the menu is the selection to burn as an image.

The burning software may not work unless the file has an ISO
    file extension. Do not choose to make a bootable disk. It sounds
    counter-intuitive, but the ISO whll make the disk bootable when you
    burn it as an image

Just Joined!
    @rcgreen;

How do you burn it as an image though? It's already an .iso file, if I just burn it as a data disc, the computer refuses to boot from it, and I can't seem to find an option to burn as an image? THanks very much for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by rcgreen
    Whenever you burn a disk in Nero, and choose to make it bootable,
    it puts DR-DOS in it.
    I was not aware of that. Thanks for the heads up.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

@rcgreen;

How do you burn it as an image though? It's already an .iso file, if I just burn it as a data disc, the computer refuses to boot from it, and I can't seem to find an option to burn as an image? THanks very much for your help!
    In my version of Nero here at work (6.3) I open it up, exit out of the wizard and go to the "Recorder" menu, then choose "Burn Image".
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    lol it's being difficult now, I have Nero 6 but it keeps asking me for a serial number for Nero 7, seem to have found a way to do it though! Am curently burning as an image, fingers crossed this should work - thanks for the help guys!

lol it's being difficult now, I have Nero 6 but it keeps asking me for a serial number for Nero 7, seem to have found a way to do it though! Am curently burning as an image, fingers crossed this should work - thanks for the help guys!
    For a free, relatively easy way to burn ISOs in MS Windows, I generally use the ISO Power Toy:

http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm

Basically you install it and then right-click on an ISO and hit "Burn Image".
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants