Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello I'd like to be a new user of fedora. But I don't know how to install it on the same HArd disk with windows XP. Do i need to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Complete installation of fedora and windows

Hello
    I'd like to be a new user of fedora. But I don't know how to install it on the same HArd disk with windows XP. Do i need to instal also Paragon partition manager? How to fix The mbr? How to use the Fix Boot. I read the posts but i didn't know to install them.
    Can I have a short document to explain how to install the 2 OS from A to Z.

Thx for ur help

Hi there.
    It is quite easy to install a dual boot system.

First, defragment the windows drives. This is very important. Then, use partition magic to shrink the windows partition, and leave enough room to install linux. Don't format the new, empty space -- just leave it unformatted.

Then restart the computer with the linux installation disk, and it will format the empty space, and install linux there. Make sure to install the bootloader in the MBR, and it will (probably) recognise windows as well. If it doesn't, then tell us, and we'll see what we can do!!

Good luck!!
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

Quote Originally Posted by Toya
    Hello
    I'd like to be a new user of fedora. But I don't know how to install it on the same HArd disk with windows XP. Do i need to instal also Paragon partition manager? How to fix The mbr? How to use the Fix Boot. I read the posts but i didn't know to install them.
    Can I have a short document to explain how to install the 2 OS from A to Z.

Thx for ur help

check this link !

casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

bootloader in the MBR

Thx for ur help, but still having a question, I'm sorry, i'm not very expert in it.
    How to install the bootloader in the MBR? the wizard of Fedora core 6 will ask me or i should to do it with partition magic or partition manager
    Thx again for ur help

you have nothing to do in Boot Loader section. by defualt, installer installs Boot Loader ( GRUB ) in MBR. in Installation wizard, accept default options in Boot Loader section....

use Partition Magic for resizing partitions only. dont format new space. leave it as it is.

casper

Just Joined!

test failed in fedore core 6

Hello
    I try to install Fedora core 6 from 2 dvds but the wizard test tell me that i should not continue the insatllation because there was an error maybe an interrupted download.
    I ve a dial-uo, so i can't download it.
    I'd like to know if i can to buy a good copy? from where? or i should to insatll another version of linux? if yes wich one?
    Thx for ur help

Quote Originally Posted by Toya
    Hello
    I try to install Fedora core 6 from 2 dvds but the wizard test tell me that i should not continue the insatllation because there was an error maybe an interrupted download.
    That doesn't necessarily mean anything. I've received false positives from the Fedora media check before and not had any trouble installing. I'd say just go ahead with the install. If your install fails with some sort of error, then you can worry about getting another copy.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

try Ubuntu and Ubuntu ShipIt provides free CDs.

casper

Just Joined!

bootloader

Hello
    I'd like to Say "Thx for ur help". I just install the fedora with Windows on the same hard Disk. Realy it's very simple and the fedora seems to be very important.
    But still having a question: can I make windows the default OS booting after 30secondes for example instead fedora. how to make it?
    thx for ur help and support

count uncommented title lines. start counting from zerro.
    note down line number of 'title Other'.
    look for line default 0 ( its 5 - 6th line in file ) replace 0 with 'title Other' line number.

timeout 5 <---- replace 5 with 30

casper