Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

RHFC1 - Installing an ftp SERVER - please help

Hello

I have a RedHat FC1 box dedicated as a MythTV video recorder. It also plays .avi, .mpg, and .wmv files on the TV, so I'd like to have FTP access to it so that I can drag files back and forth easily from my Mac - which I use to download the files.

Problem: When I installed RedHat, I somehow managed not to install the FTP server. I don't know how I did it, but there is no FTP item listed in the services window in RedHat.

Since I invisted all this time getting MythTV up and running (I may not ba able to do that again), I need to find a way to install an ftp server so that I can easily upload/download files.

Can anyone recommend an FTP server AND a place to download it? A friend recommended WUFTP, but I could find no entry for it at sourceforge.net, and it was not available using Synaptic in redHat.

Can I boot from my RedHat CDs and install the FTP server without re-installing the whole system?

Thanks,

------------------Steve

Hi spdorsey,

You can install vsftpd, the ftp software that came with RHFC1. You can find it in your RHFC1 CD. To install it just execute the following command as root:

Code:
    # rpm -ivh {directory_of_RHFC1_CD_containing_vsftpd}/vsftpd-1.2.0-5.i386.rpm
    or install it via the Internet using the command:

Code:
    # rpm -ivh http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/1/i386/os/Fedora/RPMS/vsftpd-1.2.0-5.i386.rpm
    Hope that helps.