Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
hi, it worked, thanx a million!! Now i have the following question i need to ask: 1)obviously suse installed boot loader on hda3 right? 2)suppose i want to install ubuntu ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

hi,
    it worked,
    thanx a million!!

Now i have the following question i need to ask:
    1)obviously suse installed boot loader on hda3 right?
    2)suppose i want to install ubuntu now on a new hda4 partition, the best option is not to install any new boot loader and just add a new record on the menu.lst file right?
    Then if i am right and i dont install then where the heck should i find the appropriate lines to cut and paste to menu.lst? is there like a proper syntax for that file or something i should refer to?
    3)my original goal was to have a boot loader on hda1 that boots the o.s. on hda2, hda3,hda4 instead of booting from hda3 which in turn starts the boot loader on hda1 e.t.c. thats chaos!!! is there a way to make the boot loader contained on hda1 default ?
    thanx again

1)obviously suse installed boot loader on hda3 right?
    bu default, boot loader always get installed in MBR. MBR ia not a part of any partition. its first sector of hard disk.

2)suppose i want to install ubuntu now on a new hda4 partition, the best option is not to install any new boot loader and just add a new record on the menu.lst file right?
    Ubuntu installer doesn't give any option for GRUB and it will install its own GRUB in MBR. Ubuntu Installer will recognize Fedora and SuSe. it will add entries for both in its GRUB. in case, it doesn't, you already copied and pasted GRUB entry for Fedora in SuSe. you can do it again. copy entries from Fedora's grub.conf, SuSe's menu.lst and paste in Ubuntu's menu.lst file.

my original goal was to have a boot loader on hda1 that boots the o.s. on hda2, hda3,hda4 instead of booting from hda3 which in turn starts the boot loader on hda1 e.t.c. thats chaos!!! is there a way to make the boot loader contained on hda1 default ?
    thanx again
    i am not getting it. i think you are asking about Title's arrangement. First title Fedora, then SuSe, Ubuntu.... move whole set of Title, root, kernel up or down in menu.lst.

casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

hello again,
    it seems that i havent understand some things about boot loaders on linux quite well...

so, if linux installs boot loader exactly the way windows does, then why fedora needed a boot partition ?

my question wasnt about the order of the OSes rathen than dealing with the following problem:

when i start my pc i see the menu with the choise suse, fedora (fedora wasnt there by default but you told me how to add it-thanx ).
    If i choose suse then suse starts...
    if i choose fedora then another menu appears provided by fedora this time...then i have to select fedora on that menu so that fedora starts....
    Thats not good... I want one single menu and when i choose an os then this particular os must start...

What i asked was what about if i wanted to start by the menu provided by fedora instead of the menu provided by suse. What do i have to change?
    In other words what are the steps that grub is following until the os is loaded? what files does it look and why? Does anyone has links or information that could help?

Thanx people!

if i choose fedora then another menu appears provided by fedora this time...then i have to select fedora on that menu so that fedora starts....
    it doesnt happen with main kernel.
    problem is, you installed Xen Kernel. it is still technology in its testing phase and as it has not been merged with the mainline Linux kernel. Basically, you only need to run Xen if you know what virtualisation is and want to use it.

What i asked was what about if i wanted to start by the menu provided by fedora instead of the menu provided by suse. What do i have to change?
    Install Fedora's GRUB and add an entry for SuSe in it.

n other words what are the steps that grub is following until the os is loaded? what files does it look and why? Does anyone has links or information that could help?
    check this Link !

casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2