Find the answer to your Linux question:
Is this possable? I have a portable DVD player I'd enjoy trying to use some kind of LiveCD with to run Linux. I'm fearing I'd need a custom distro to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux from a household DVD player?

Is this possable? I have a portable DVD player I'd enjoy trying to use some kind of LiveCD with to run Linux.

I'm fearing I'd need a custom distro to do this... bah.

Anyone have input on this? It's probably out there, but I'm determined to do it! I've run searches out the ying yang, and returning nothing.

Thanks for your help guys!

- Alex

Is your portable DVD player a video DVD player that, for example, you play movie DVDs on?

I can't think of any other kind of household/portable DVD player you would be referring to. To use it to read or boot a data DVD, you would need a data connection between the player and your PC. I know of no such data connection, so I think you are out of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by teh_otter
    Is this possable? I have a portable DVD player I'd enjoy trying to use some kind of LiveCD with to run Linux.
    I guess that somehow it should be feasable.

From what I understand, your DVD player has its own OS, which it boots from Flash/ROM. Simply putting a Live Linux distribution will not make it boot from it. I guess you will have to physically open the thing to make it boot from a CD/DVD.

It kinds of relate to booting Linux from a XBOX and such consoles.
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close