Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok first off I am very sorry if anyone has answered this question. I have seen many dual boot issues on here but I don't believe any of them are ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation GRUB - Error 5 - Dual Boot WinXP MC/SuSe 10.1

Ok first off I am very sorry if anyone has answered this question. I have seen many dual boot issues on here but I don't believe any of them are the problem I am having. Also, another important note, I am very new to Linux so try and give me the simplest explanations possible. LoL. Basically I have an XP Media Center box. It has 4 drives: 2 IDE, 1 SATA, 1 External IDE. In their current arrangement:

hda - IDE 1 250GB
    hda1 - Part 1/2 Striped Partition NTFS
    hdb - IDE 2 250GB
    hdb1 - Part 2/2 Striped Partition NTFS
    sda - SATA 1 - 250GB
    sda1 - Windows C: NTFS Partition - 60GB
    sda2 - HP_RECOVERY D: FAT32 - 9GB
    sda3 - Extended - 22GB
    sda4 - SWAP - 2GB
    sda5 - / Resierfs - 20GB
    sda6 - /home Reiserfs - 159GB
    sdf - External IDE 160GB

I believe this is the setup. Currently I can't check because I can't get into Linux at all now. Basically when I start, the computer will attempt to load GRUB which was installed on hda i believe. It starts and loads with an error 5. Before I booted into XP it worked partly fine however. It would load, and I was able to boot into Linux. When attempting to choose Windows, it would come back with an error and instrust me to use CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart. Since I know enough about computers and windows, I knew that booting from the sda drive would get me into windows. So I attempted this and chose boot order to boot from sda first. Succesfully booted to windows. Now to be sure I would at least be able to get into both systems I restarted the computer. It started up default by reading hda, and attempted to load GRUB. This brings me back to what I explained about error 5. So now I can get into windows by setting my sda to boot first, but I can no longer get into Linux. I had this problem before when I first tried installing SuSe. Someone told me to reinstall it so I did. To no avail apparently since I still have the same problem. Any help is greatly greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

where did you install GRUB? in sda or hda?

casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    installed to hda which in my computers boot order, is the first drive, then hdb, then sda last

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    GRUB Error 5 : "Disk geometry error"
    This error is returned when a read is attempted at a linear block address beyond the end of the BIOS translated area. This generally happens if your disk is larger than the BIOS can handle (512MB for (E)IDE disks on older machines or larger than 8GB in general).
    boot up from SuSe installation CD/DVD and select 'Boot from Hard Disk' option. in terminal/konsole, execute this
    Code:
    su -
    fdisk -l
    post the output here.

casper

Just Joined!

I think you didn't realize I can't even get into Linux ... so I had to take a literal screen shot ... LoL ... lemme know if this is legible ... and sorry for taking so long ... school is a ***** lately ... finals week ... ciao

Quote Originally Posted by SMix
    I think you didn't realize I can't even get into Linux ... so I had to take a literal screen shot ... LoL ... lemme know if this is legible ... and sorry for taking so long ... school is a ***** lately ... finals week ... ciao
    as i suggested earlier, boot up from SuSe Installation CD and Select 'Boot from Harddisk' option. does SuSe boot up properly?

casper

Just Joined!
    no thats part of the problem ... I can't even get into Linux ... even when using that DVD it gives me the same error ... so I can't even get my Linux to boot ... its frustrating having it there ... just can't get to it ... LoL