Find the answer to your Linux question:
When i wanted to install ubuntu i could only got in 640x480 mode so i couldn't click the next button so i can install it. Second time i changed the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Refresh rate when installing ubuntu 6.06

When i wanted to install ubuntu i could only got in 640x480 mode so i couldn't click the next button so i can install it.

Second time i changed the resolution in the cd menu but after i loaded it in safe graphics mode and when it started to load gnome, my dysplay said it can't show(it's a lcd display).
    Third try, i did the same steps but i used the old crt monitor that i use for my server, i installed ubuntu and i saw the problem: th refresh rate was set to 61 Hz instead to 60(that's wierd). I couldn't use my lcd monitor until after i installed the atifglrx drivers.

So... what can i do so i can normally install ubuntu next time(without making trips with my crt monitor). Does 6.10 solve this problem?

Ubuntu Desktop CD doesn't give much installation options. try Ubuntu Alternate CD. you can configure display settings before installation.

casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

I'm not really inclined to use another cd unless it's a must(different from the original, majorly)

I browsed the forums for similar prblems and i found out that i need to configure xorg.conf and type the refresh rate in there. But can i edit that file before i burn the cd so it loas the file when it starts the live cd and it also uses that file in the instalation?

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Stan
    I browsed the forums for similar prblems and i found out that i need to configure xorg.conf and type the refresh rate in there. But can i edit that file before i burn the cd so it loas the file when it starts the live cd and it also uses that file in the instalation?
    That's not a problem, even on the live CD, you can edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf and restart the X server with CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE.
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Perfect, i'll try when i get home(that's in hours).

But does it use the edited file when it installs or i need to repeat the procedure?

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Stan
    But does it use the edited file when it installs or i need to repeat the procedure?
    Yes, it will keep it.

Ubuntu live CD detects and configure X at the first boot. If you modify your /etc/X11/xorg.conf once in the live CD, and install it afterwards, your modified xorg.conf will stay.
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Ok.

So the first option from Ubuntu menu(the fires menu from the live cd) there are some options. First option which is start normally just goes to 640x480 with 60 Hz which my lcd monitor supports, the second option uses the resulution you can change in that menu and 61 Hz. So my question is: Can i change the xorg.conf file from the first option and make the resolution bigger from there, because if i use the second option i need to switch monitors.