Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am running Mandrake 8.1 with my Dell Optiplex DGX 100, 500 mhz Celeron 128 Mb ram, i810 chipset. I suspect that some troubles I was facing a few months ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

ACPI features, How should disable them?

I am running Mandrake 8.1 with my Dell Optiplex DGX 100, 500 mhz Celeron 128 Mb ram, i810 chipset.

I suspect that some troubles I was facing a few months ago when I logout of my system (my system hangs for a long time and I have to use the SysRq routine to reboot the computer) these problems now I believe have a direct link to the ACPI features my board support, but may be the kernel of Mandrake 8.1 does not support. even Win2k when I made some standbys the computer does not recover itself at full and sometimes I have to reboot and now I believe that the trouble may be related to ACPI features.

if I am wrong I am posting in the right place to clear out all my doubts

thanks in advance

Linux Guru
    First of alll, are you absolutely sure that your mother board uses ACPI and not APM? (These are two competing standards for power management)

Just Joined!

Yes.

Sure, my motherboard support ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) 1.0A, it also support DMI (Desktop Management Interface), remote reactivation via an integrated 3com NIC (disabled right now, by BIOS option).

Linux Guru
    I know that the ACPI implementation in Linux is still a bit experimental; I don't even know if it's activated in the default distro kernels. You could try compiling your own kernel with ACPI enabled and see if that helps.