Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Hi To get any half decent performance with Linux and the ATI I need to update Xfree. The downloads consist of binaries or an updater later for only none patched ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Hi
    To get any half decent performance with Linux and the ATI I need to update Xfree.

The downloads consist of binaries or an updater later for only none patched version.If you read at XFree.org details are given to test version of X,running the script in mandrake returns info that they are indeed patched and not original..

Also the binaries have an .EXE install,Jeeezzz how on earth or what explorer do they expect you to use..All in mandrake open the file not download,furthermore a right click only saves as a text file..Tried even windows IE6 still no go....So looks like the upgrade files are best best within Redhat..

Not having a printer doesn't help..these web pages contain too much info and links to other sites..Why can't simple button pushing instructions be given for idiots like me.

By going ctr/alt/f1 while booted does this bypass the gui.??? I opend a monitor screen ran files and had text flying by but bleeps from pc for about 5 minutes..

No update happend so you can't run these files in windows.??????

Another issue besides the ATI I tried to use WINE for a simple port over of a winamp plugin....I ran the RPM WHERE on earth is the program.????

Not so simple compared to Micro$$ nothing on taskbar or ??

Also redhat does not ship with Xine I can't find this program either after runnnig the RPM's..

I assume you just double click these files to install them..are they not like a EXE windows prog..

Peter

Just Joined!
    Sorry forgot you last question windrake and redhat are both stable perhaps redhat has the better look and feel for me.Stability only falls after my finger input

I can now rebuild the xfconfig if the gui fails so getting somewhere.

Peter

Linux Guru
    To find out where a package installs files, run "rpm -ql <package>" (where <package>, of course, should be replaced by the name of the actual package).

Why do you have to upgrade XFree86? RedHat 8 comes with version 4.2.0, which, as far as I can see, there is a driver for on ATi's driver download site.

What I really wanted you to check is if you can still get away from X which CTRL+ALT+F1 even when it has crashed because of the ATi drivers. That will show if X has really crashed or if it just fails to display anything. By the way, what really happens to X when you've installed ATi's drivers?

Just Joined!
    Hi
    Dolda

First I will have to use mandrake.....RedHat does not see my other 2 hard disc that live via an SI ide adaptor""even windows needs drivers"" I found someone else out their who has same problem..When MD boots errors I/O fly up the screen refering to these hard drives,If I disco them the error goes.

Xfree so it says has better support for later graphics including the radeon,So I will put mandrake on dual boot to winxp,can you look at Xfee.org and tell me what I need to download.? Why is no Xfree upgrades packaged as a single rpm file.??

Peter

Just Joined!
    Hi
    Right...

I have a dual boot winxp/redhat,I have moved on of my drives over to a slave on ide0 has a slave to boot drive,Ide1 has my plextor 24/10/40a..

Mounted on the silicon image controller is a 40 gig hd and a LG DVD.RedH still doesn't see these 2 hard disc yet without any settings mandrake can see them.??.I prefer the Plextor on it's own for performance adding the ide controller was due to not enough ide ports on motherboard and the fact windows can't see them without drivers,I can't have an accident on formatting..

Peter

Linux Guru
    The reason that Mandrake sees your other hard drives is probably because they compiled their kernel with support for the adaptor, while redhat didn't. If you would want redhat, all you have to do is download the kernel source after installation and configure it to support that driver (and then compile and install the kernel; there a HOWTO on that here).

Those that work with XFree86 don't provide RPM distributions, they rely on the distribution managers (RedHat, Mandrake, etc.) to provide that. They themselves provide only source access, and the latest versions are only available via CVS. More problems are that the complete source tree takes about 700 MB of disk space and at least two hours to compile (that's on my 1400 MHz CPU, maybe yours will take a little less time). For more info, see http://www.xfree86.org/cvs/.
    Now that I take a second look, I see that they've finally released 4.3.0, on the other hand, and therefore there is a tarball available at ftp://ftp.xfree86.org/pub/XFree86/4.3.0/. That will make it a little easier than using CVS, of course.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2