Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi, i had WinME on my pc, formated that to make room for slackware. i have the bootdisk, everything goes fine...except when i reach the stage where slackware installs the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

AAAH!! Slackware 8.1 Installation Fatal Error

hi, i had WinME on my pc, formated that to make room for slackware. i have the bootdisk, everything goes fine...except when i reach the stage where slackware installs the actual files, there i get an error that reads:

read: Input/Output Error

and thats it...everything halts....i have tried that about 15 times!!

i have a 2gb harddisk, with 60Mb of ram, 233Mhz CyrixInstead MII...please help!!

i have 2 partitions, i which is bootable, 1900Mb for the root, the other is of type 83 (linux swap) and is of 100Mb... the partitions are fine...it is the installation!!

Linux Engineer
    Make sure your cd drive was detected during boot and that the iso you downloaded isn't corrupted.

Just Joined!
    the cd was detected, but how do I know if the installation was corrupt??

Linux Engineer
    Compare the md5 of the iso you downloaded and what is on the ftp site.

Just Joined!
    excuse me, but i am only a newbie with linux...can you please explain that in more detail!! how do i run the md5 file??

Linux Guru
    MD5 is a checksumming algorithm, meaning that it reads a file and generates a large number that is almost unique for that file. If you would calculate the MD5 checksum for the ISO file that you downloaded and compare that to the pre-generated MD5 sum on Mandrake's FTP, you would know if the file became corrupted during download if the numbers differ. However, I have no idea what program to use under Windows to calculate MD5 sums.

Just Joined!
    thx, that is really helpful, much appreciated, but could someone please tell me how to use the md5 sum program under WinXP??

Linux Enthusiast
    google.com and look for "md5sum windows" will return tons of links to programs that run under windows. The third link that it returns looks good.
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by digiwired
    thx, that is really helpful, much appreciated, but could someone please tell me how to use the md5 sum program under WinXP??
    check out this link: http://www.linuxiso.org/viewdoc.php/verifyiso.html

Just Joined!
    thanx alot guys....much appreciated, i owe you one!!