Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey everyone. I just installed linux mandrake 9.1 for the first time, but i can't get into the graphical interface. I tried Alt+F7, but the screen goes black. A few ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Help??? Can't get into the graphical interface.

Hey everyone. I just installed linux mandrake 9.1 for the first time, but i can't get into the graphical interface. I tried Alt+F7, but the screen goes black. A few times it seemed like it was about to enter, but the screen flickered and it returned to the command prompt. What could it be?

at the text command prompt login as the root user and enter :-
    Code:
    cat /var/log/XFree86.0.log | more
    then use the space bar (if needed) to page thru the log to see if you can see what the problem is.

Or :-
    try the following to configure your /etc/X11/XF86Config file (as root) :-
    Code:

XFree86 -configure
    the screen will blank and, hopefully, come back, having created a file called /root/XF86Config.new . Now test this config file out by :-

Code:
    XFree86 -xf86config /root/XF86Config.new
    If you get the raw X screen (grey cross hatched screen with an X as a mouse coursor) then you have a working config file that just needs copying to /etc/X11/XF86Config (use the "cp" command). But first cancel out of the raw X screen by Ctrl Alt BackSpace (not Del) and then do the copy. Then either reboot or type "startx" and with luck you'll have gdm or kdm to logon with.

have fun

Nerderello

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS

Just Joined!
    Thanx the info was very helpful. I configured the file and it seems to be working now.