Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
No I wanted to make sure the 700mb iso for ubuntu was a full install and not a live one. I am just experimenting with different Distros so i can ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

No I wanted to make sure the 700mb iso for ubuntu was a full install and not a live one. I am just experimenting with different Distros so i can find the one that is right for me. I want it to be independant of XP. After i do some experiments of which are supposed to be the easiest distros to instal, I will have Grub set to boot slackware, one of the more easier distros, and XP. Thank You.

Just Joined!
    As you can all recall in the beginning i wanted to look at the four easiest to install distros. I did a day of research and came to the conclusion that they would be Suse, Ubuntu, Knoppix and Mandrake. Mandrake is not longer current I am going with Mandriva, since Pablo said it was easy and I plus i had never heard of it.
    In my search I failed to check if they where all booted from the hard drive with no cd. It seems that knoppix is only for people who want to use a live cd and is not capable off booting directly from the hard drive.
    My question is would should by forth distro, keep in mind I already have the new slackware (Only since my sister can't use it and my friend only uses this version), Suse (Picks up all my hardware, but don't like the video limitation, this one want last llong on my hard drive), Ububtu (Forced to use this at my job, but never installed it before) and about to download Mandrake (This is what newbies start out with, this might be good for her). Like I said I am ditching the bug so if i take windows off my sister still needs something easy and click able. Nothing like slackware so easy and comfortable user friendly this like crappy Microsoft. Thank You.

Just to let you know that it is possible to install knoppix to a hard drive, although it's main strength is as a LiveCD.

The one obvious distro you don't seem to have in your list is Fedora, so you might want to have a look at that.

Have you started a thread anywhere on the video problem you are having with SuSE?
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

Just Joined!
    Thanks smolloy, you are proberly the only that can put up with me about now lol.

Fedora, what can I say bad experience with it. I would force her to use redhat before that one, but they do have a new version that i have not tested out yet. If that is the only choice available, than i guess i will just have to suck it up and look into it anyways.

Don't have enough time to find one using distrowatch and the hundreds of distros that they keep on file. I think I will look into Fedora and PCLinux, even though i haven't used the latest version of them, I doubt they will knock Ubuntu from being the one I install on her PC.

Thanks for the input.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2