Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I'm new to linux and I need some help. Im trying to install linux on another computer I have with 2 harddrives on it. The Master drive has windows ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Help with LILO college Linux/Windows XP

Hello, I'm new to linux and I need some help. Im trying to install linux on another computer I have with 2 harddrives on it. The Master drive has windows XP installed on it, and the Slave drive has nothing on at the moment.
    My problem is that when I try to install college linux on the empty hard drive, I cant access windows afterwards. I recognise that this is to do with LILO and i need help setting it up. (I've managed it once by accident, and im unable to make it work now)
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Pyeboy

you need to edit, as the root user, the file /etc/lilo.conf , however, as I haven't runLILO in years I don't feel qualified to tell you what needs to go in there. Once you have the required WinXP lines entered, you then need to run /sbin/lilo to get them put into the force.

Or, you could always instal GRUB instead of Lilo and then have a look at the tutorial section on this site to see how to make it work.

have fun

Nerderello

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS

Just Joined!
    I have a less elegant but pragmatic answer.

I have two hard drives as well, with XP on the first one and Debian on the second.

Unless you have to have college linux, I would say the easiest thing to do is install Debian (cost me about 15 bucks, including a donation) and let the installer do lilo for you. It will automatically find XP there and set it up for you. The times I played with /etc/lilo.conf resulted in heartache and misery for me.

Assuming the college linux doesn't do it's own boot loader install for you, of course.

Just Joined!
    Ok, thanks, the reason i got college linux was because when i considered using linux, that was the only one i knew about. Ill have a look at some other distros before trying again.

for newbies, I normally recomend either Fedora or Mandrake. They may not be the fastest, but they are newbie friendly.

have fun

Nerderello

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS

Linux Engineer
    Add these lines to the bottom of /etc/lilo.conf

other=/dev/hda1
    label=windows

Change the /dev/hd* entry to match the real location of your windows partition. I am just guessing from what you say that it is /dev/hda1.

I reccomend gentoo ( http://www.gentoo.org ) for new users providing that the user wants to learn a bit about the linux system (im not talking about programming in any way). The install can be lengthy and a bit tedious but in no way is it difficult. It is however, very important that you follow the excelent installation instructions provided here:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handboo...?part=0&chap=0

Gentoo will provide you with a system that is exceptionaly fast, stable, powerfull and easy to use.
    I would also advise going with a stage3 install if you decide to use gentoo